Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Party of 1

This time last week I was dining at my favorite restaurant, celebrating my birthday...ALONE.

My friends were busy and it would have cost a fortune to take my kids with me, so I did what I've learned how to do so well over the past 10 years (not by choice, but simply because this is the way it is)...I made a reservation FOR MYSELF and went.

You'd think that after 10 years the awkwardness of eating alone in a restaurant would have worn off. For some, maybe that's the case. For me...not so much. I still miss the company of having someone (that special someone) sitting at the table with me. Especially on special occasions.

And if my BFFs are reading this...yes, I know that WE do most of these things together, but sometimes...every now & then, someone else needs to be sitting with me.

But there came a point where I had to decide if "Me, Myself and I" were going to continue doing the things that I enjoy, even if done ALONE, or would I just stop doing them all together?

I love life and living too much to just crawl into my shell and turn into a hermit simply because there's no one to experience life WITH.

So, little by little I learned how to do things as a "Party of 1".

Movies? Yes.
Concerts? Yes.
Plays? Yes.
Dinner? Yes.
Vacation? Not yet, but I sure have been thinking about it.

Oh, you should see the look on the faces when I'm asked, "How many in your party?", and I say, "One".

The reaction is as though I've said the unspeakable. And they repeat, "One???".

"Yep." I say.
"Just ONE".

Now for those who know me and are probably saying, "Why don't you do these things with your children?"

Well, I do as much as I can with them. But there are some things that I'd rather do with another adult (a.k.a my Husband, which I'll have one day), or just do by myself.

Do people look at me like I have a blue nose when I'm sitting in the movie theatre alone? Of course they do.

And at concerts, where most of the time there are primarily "couples"...and then there's ME...ummm, yes...they look at me a little strange.

Plays? Same thing.

And dinner? Well, I've learned to just not look over at the other tables. I either take a book, or something else to divert my attention away from the other restaruant goers who look over at me with their "Oh, poor thing, she's dining by herself" eyes.

As for the vacation...well, when I go, I'll let you know how it was.

Do I enjoy being a "Party of 1"? Absolutely NOT. But as I said...it is what it is...at least for now.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Have you ever gone to a movie, concert, play, dinner or vacation alone? If so, why? If not, would you?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

1 comment:

  1. Ok De-Da, I have been to the movies by myself Plenty of times. Let me tell you. Only because I am the night time worker. Meaning that during the day is when I can go out and try to have some fun. And now that I am single again I find it hard to meet someone, anyone, new to meet with and start a relationship with. So I have become acustom doing things by myself. I have not done the plays or concerts alone yet. I think it will make me look to suspect and scare most people. LOL. Plus I think I will not have as much fun.

    I too have had birthdays buy my self and/or with one other friend. It is sad to me only because it makes aware that my friends are not as close a friend I thought they were and are not. So I will have to try the plays and concerts alone, because I have missed to many as it is already.

    Sincerely Tyson

    ReplyDelete