Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rated "R" (for a REASON)

So I went to the movies last night and in line behind me were a handful of teen aged girls chatting as teen aged girls do, and cursing like sailors (sadly, as many teenagers do). It was just so unbecoming. So unlady like. Really disturbing.

So as the line moved along they continued their cursing and unlady-like language and were pointing out people in the line who they were going to ask to buy their ticket to a rated "R" movie.

As we were just about to get to the window they finally decide on ME. ME! Little did they know, I was NOT the one.

So they proceed to ask me to buy their ticket and I very politely told them NO. I'm sure that I became the subject of their next unlady-like conversation, but there was No Way that I was going to contribute to the continued degradation of their development.

Was I being prudish? Probably. Do I care? Not at all.

First of all...I would not want somebody buying a ticket for my under aged children to get into an "R" rated movie. Movies are powerful. They place images into our minds that can not be removed. I wouldn't want someone to help those negative images to be placed in my child's mind, and I will not be responsible for jackin' up the mind of someone else's child. Yes, my friends...it truly takes a village.

After I told the girls no, the cool lookin' dude who was ahead of me in line asked me what they wanted. I told him that they wanted me to buy them a ticket to an "R" rated movie. To my surprise, he agreed with me. He said, "Ahhh nahhhh...that's right. Some things they just need to wait for".

I was already feeling okay about my choice, and to have this dude agree with me just confirmed my decision.

In my opinion, children/teenagers are exposed to waaay too much too soon. I believe in letting them be youthful for as long as possible. They have all their lives to do and see adult things. But while they are children, they need to be just that...children.

Maybe I'm on a mission all by myself. Or maybe me and the guy in line in front of me are the only two on this bandwagon. But please people...stop exposing your "children" to adult situations...especially if you're gonna turn around and complain about them being "too grown".

Let's help our kids be kids. And stop sneaking them into "R" rated movies. Afterall...the movies are rated R for a REASON (Sex, drugs, language, adult themes,violence, etc.,etc). They may THINK they're ready for adult situations at 14, but how 'bout WAITING until they're 17 to know for sure. Even at 17 I think there are some things that they're not ready for. But that's just me.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Have you ever paid for a ticket to allow a child (not yours) into an "R" rated movie? If so, why? If not, why not?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment