Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bye Bye "Boob Tube"

Today is day 4 of no television in our home. The truth of the matter is that I simply can no longer afford cable, so it had to go. And since our television won't get any channels (not even the local ones) without cable, we've said goodbye to it all. Gotta tell ya...I've never experienced so much quiet in my life. For as long as I can remember there has always been a television in my home, and most of the time, it was on. Have I noticed any changes now that the television is gone (not the set itself, but the ability to view it)? Yes, I have. 1. It's super quiet now. 2. The communication has increased with me & my children, and amongst themselves. 3. I am more aware. Aware of birds chirping outside. Aware of cars driving by. Aware of my neighbors. Simply...aware. Do I find myself having more time. Oddly enough, I don't. Even without a job my days are completely filled. My daughter once said to me, "You don't act like a person without a job. You still get up early and you do stuff...all day. Most unemployed people sleep more
. You don't." She's right. I work just as hard and do just as much without a job as I do when I have one. Sometimes I joke and say, "how am I going to fit a REAL job into my schedule?" The answer is this: I look forward to the challenge. Bring it on! So anyway. That's the latest change in our home. Will I re-instate cable once I'm back to work and can afford it? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll jump that hurdle when we get to it. Let the DIALOGUE begin: How long would YOU be able to go without television? Talk to me! Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. I remember during my divorce I had no cable. I had just the little box yhat I purchased from Radio Shack and that was just to watch regular television. I have to say I did not miss television. My kids sort of did, but they got used to it.

    I remember when all we had were 7 channels to watch. Plus vhs. Now you have to pay to watch a program? I wish for simpler times...

    I might have to go back to No Cable. Just to save a buck. Then again you can watch most shows on line now anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that I wouldn't miss it. The kids on other hand, were a different story. They've adjusted well though. A Netflix DVD hits the mailbox every 3 days or so and that seems to do us just fine. When I do get a hankering to watch something you're right...I just hop online. We don't get any of the ABC Channel 7 stuff for some reason and that's been a little bit of a bummer because I actually liked "The View". Hated the bickering and talking over each other, but really like the "Hot Topics". Oh well, C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete