Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, December 5, 2016

What's Your Flavor?

A couple days ago I was hankerin' for a "sweet treat." Whenever that happens I tend to find myself at Rite Aid for a scoop (or two) of some good ol' Thrifty's ice cream. Tastes good and it's way cheaper than Baskin-Robbins.

As I stood at the counter waiting for someone to come assist (there's never anyone readily available), I thought about getting my usual...either Pecan Praline or Chocolate Fudge Brownie.
Seems like it was taking longer than normal for someone to arrive which gave me time to check out some of the other flavors.

Didn't take long before I spotted one that made me smile...Rainbow Sherbet, which by the way...if you are anything like me, gets pronounced Sher-bert...even though there's only ONE "r".

Anyhoo...I digress.

The sherbet made me smile because it immediately reminded me of my Mom.

Three days before she passed away, I walked into her room and found her in tears. She knew that she didn't have many days left here on earth and was wishing that God would just " hurry up already." Yes, for this, she was quite distraught.

As I tried to calm her down, the dietician came in and noticed my Mom crying. He thought that maybe having something to eat would make her feel better. though a whole list of choices, yet nothing he mentioned sounded appealing to her and she decided that she didn't want anything at all.

Then he took a different approach and asked her what she would like to have if she could have anything at all.

My Mom's eyes lit up and she said, "Rainbow Sherbet."

I heard that and thought, "Great. Like they've really got THAT here. Now she's gonna cry again."

Well...

Much to my surprise, the dietician said, "Miss Rebecca, I'll be right back."

Not five minutes later, he walked back in with a single scoop of Rainbow Sherbet in a cup. I wish I had taken a picture of my Mom's face when she saw it. Her whole countenance changed.

I sat by her side as she ate ever so slowly, savoring every bite, almost as if she knew it would be her last time tasting. We talked, she ate. We talked, she ate.

I left that evening knowing that her tears had stopped (if only momentarily), and she enjoyed that sherbet as if it were the best thing she'd ever eaten.

So after seeing Rainbow Sherbet in the ice cream case at Rite Aid, I knew immediately what my choice would be. I asked for a single scoop in a cup, and had quite the giggle when the cup was handed to me with a SMILING scoop of sherbet (pictured) staring at me. I knew right then and there that I had most definitely made the right choice.

I savored every bite remembering how my Mom did the very same.

Now...Let the DIALOGUE begin: What's YOUR favorite flavor of ice cream?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment