Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

With all that's going on in our world today somehow the fact that an International Supermodel is losing her hair became "big news".

How sad.

We've got a war going on, oil gushing profusely off the Gulf Coast, homeless people everywhere...and the fact that a supermodel is potentially going bald has made the news.

Seriously?

What is going on? Where are our priorities?

First of all, if she is losing her hair, that's her business, and she should be allowed to deal with that in a manner that makes her most comfortable. I get that she's a model and all, but she shouldn't have to worry about paparazzi trying to get a glimpse of her and her bald spots.

Do I sound a little hot under the collar? Maybe I do. But it's because I (unlike many) can relate to what she's going through. I too am potentially going bald. I pray that it doesn't come to that but at the rate that my hair is falling out, you just never know.

2009 was the worst year of my life, although the trouble began back in October of 2008.

That was when my stress levels at work reached a considerable high. I was working extremely long hours, missing time with my family, and had very little time to do anything except squeeze in a few hours for sleep. I was STRESSED, and it was completely work related.

Then, on January 29 2009, I got some news about my health that knocked me off my feet. It was a real "EYE-opener", and left me wondering, "what next?" So in addition to the stress at work, now I had health related stress also.

Oh, but the issues kept on coming. On July 7th 2009, I had a bad day. A REALLY REALLY REALLY bad day. I can't even go into what happened on that day, but I can say that the effects of that day carried over for the rest of the year. So on top of work related, and health related stress, I now had emotional stress piled on.

Now I'm not saying all of this so that you can feel sorry for me. I'm just being real, and it is what it is. And NO...I will NOT show you my bald spots...so don't even ask ;-)

What I didn't realize then, was that all that stress was too much for my body...waaay too much. And that stress chose to manifest itself in my body via hair loss,LOTS of it.

On my scalp are 3 huge bald spots. One the circumference of a soda can. The other the circumference of a tomato paste can, and the other the circumference of a half dollar. Completely bald. No hair on those spots whatsoever.

Yet even with the hair loss, I am thankful for sooo much.

I am thankful that the stress did not manifest itself in a more severe form, like a heart attack, or a stroke. Hey, I can handle a little hair loss. And even if I lose it all...there are some super cute wigs out there. Maybe it's time for me to switch up my look :-)

I'm also thankful that even with all of the hair that is now missing, I still have enough to cover up the patches. What a blessing!

This whole hair loss thing has taught me a lesson that I've been telling myself for years...it's not about who I am on the outside, not the size of my body, not the hair on my head...but it's TRULY about who I am on the INSIDE. That's who I hope people really see...the Me INSIDE, because THAT is who I will always be...with or without hair.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Is there something about you that people don't know about because you're afraid of how they may think or react? Are you afraid that they won't accept you if they new about this "something" that you've been hiding?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment