Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Here yesterday, Gone now.

I wonder.

If I had known that the last time I had Pineapple Tart yogurt would be my LAST time, would I have savored it a bit more? Would I have filled my cup with twice as much? Would I have gone back the next day? Or the day after that? And the day after that until it was gone?

I hadn't been to my favorite frozen yogurt spot in a couple of months. So I headed over recently for a little treat. I got my bowl, and proceeded to the dispenser in the wall where I was ready to pull the lever and fill my cup with the good stuff. But wait...somethin' was different this time. Pineapple Tart wasn't where it should be. Hmmm. Maybe I missed it. Or maybe they moved it. So I went back to the beginning of the flavors and read the names very slowly...over and over...as if it were going to jump out and say "Here I am!". I did this for a while.

It wasn't there. :-(

Now I realize that this is just yogurt we're talking about, but it made me think about all of the other day to day things that we take for granted. Things that we just assume will be here tomorrow because they're here today. Jobs. Homes. Friends. Family. Health. Financial stability. But the fact is...much like my Pineapple Tart yogurt they can be gone tomorrow just as easily.

This experience was not new to me. I've experienced it a few times in my life.

My first time living on my own came this way. One day I lived home with my parents, the next day, I had no home.

The situation was similar with my last home. I lived there for 13 years, and then suddenly...out of no where, I had to move.

I had a good friend who I hung out with one night and exactly one week later, my friend died.

Maybe I was wrong to take such things and people for granted. The funny thing is, I didn't think I was taking anything for granted at the time. Those thoughts never entered into my mind. It's just the type of thing that doesn't really hit you, until it happens.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Is there anything or anyone in your life that you just assume will always be here? I'll share a little secret with you...they won't.

I don't care so much about the "things" in your life that are important, but if you have any PEOPLE in your life who mean anything to you, let them know NOW.

Don't let them be like my Pineapple Tart yogurt...Here yesterday, Gone now. Let people know how you feel. Even if they think you're nuts for doing it (as most of my friends do about me), just do it anyway, and let me know what happens.

Talk to me!

Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. I've always believed that this is the key sentiment behind the Buddhist philosophy of "living in the moment". We all struggle with the temporary nature of life. Nothing is permanent, not even the universe we live in. It's quite an accomplishment to fully enjoy what (and who) is immediately around you. Opportunities live and die like everything else, and once they are gone, they are gone. So, this is something I try hard to do. Living in the moment. Not comparing it to any other moment, but just reflecting on the road that brought me to it. Easier to be said than to do, but completely possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. That was the exact sentiment I wanted to convey, "living in the moment". After all, we can't change yesterday, and we don't know WHAT tomorrow has in store. All that we really have is NOW...so let's enjoy it. "Easier to be said than to do, but completely possible." Definitely possible.

    ReplyDelete