Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sad goodbyes, Better hellos.


***Although most of my posts are happy and upbeat, every now and then there's one that's not quite that. This might be one of those, but it is what it is and this is what it is.***

A little over an hour ago I gave my daughter Jordan a hug and told her that I loved her as she loaded up her dad's truck so that he could drive her to her new home...her college dorm.

I'm happy for her and her new journey in life. I just wish I could have sent her off with better.

Money is tight in our home...very tight. And it's not just because I'm unemployed. Money was tight even WITH a job.

It's not like we live outside our means. To the contrary. Our means are just very meager. Always have been.

Over the past month, little by little I've been buying the things that she needs. Bedding here. Pots & pans there. Dishes. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Yet I still don't feel like she has enough. I didn't have a dime worth of cash to give her. Zero, zip, nada.

So how is she supposed to eat???

Her housing comes with a kitchen, so it's not like she has the meal plan to fall back on. I know that she's received money from friends and family in preparation of her going away, so hopefully she has enough to hold her over until I get more money.

Oh, and did I mention that we haven't even bought her books yet? And we KNOW how expensive college textbooks are. RIDICULOUS!!!

I have a friend who's making a CD to go along with a book she's written. She's solicited on facebook for people to make a donation toward her effort. I will...when I get some money. Why would I do that, you ask...because I believe we should support one another. One of the greatest problems in the world today is that it's "every man for himself", and people don't help each other. That way of thinking has GOT to come to an end. Even though she's married and lives a far better lifestyle than I do, I still feel the need to support her in her effort. She has a dream. Who am I to stand in the way of it. After all, I wouldn't want anyone to stand in the way of mine.

Her request has left me to wonder though, how many people would help ME, if I put out a call for everyone to make a donation toward my daughter's education. It's hard enough for black children to get through school as it is. And not many make it to college. I am blessed to have not 1, but 2 daughters in college now, and I want to keep them there until they finish. I do NOT want either of them to have to give up on their dreams because "mom couldn't afford it". Story of their lives.

Anyway...the goodbye was sad, for more reasons than one. But I am determined to make life better for myself and my 3 babies so that we can have better hellos. Something's gotta give. Something's gotta change. Now.

If I could, I would ask for $1 from everyone in the United States. Just $1. That's all it would take to make my life just a little easier...for once.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! When it comes to your children, do you ever feel like love just isn't enough?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

p.s. - the clipart image looks just like Jordan today. She wanted me to do her hair in the curly style and it came out so cute (of course). She looks so "ethic". I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment