Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, February 22, 2016

Coffee, Tea, and...

So it's been a little over a month since my trip to New Orleans. Man, I can hardly wait to go back!

I still have LOTS to write about my time there and tonight I'm going to take a little time to do just that.

***

Saturday night I hung out at my favorite Starbucks in L.A.

It's the one where I met "Joe" thirteen years ago, and every now and then I go because it simply brings back so many special memories. I also love the vibe. Good music playing and intellectual Black folks fill up the place. There aren't too many Starbucks that I've been to that have those elements. For this reason, I drive 14 miles just to be in that environment. Love it!

Although I'm not much of a coffee drinker (except for one cup a day at work), I do drink a lot of tea. That's what I typically get at Starbucks.

While I was in New Orleans, I got very acquainted with the nearby Starbucks on Canal and Royal. Not so much because of the coffee or tea, but because of the clean public restroom and outlets for me to charge my phone.

One day while charging my phone and sipping on the boxed apple juice that I'd purchased, I sat back and enjoyed the music being piped through the speakers. It didn't take long for me to realize that this particular Starbucks had vibe of its own, not exactly like my favorite one here in L.A., but one that made me wanna hang out for a bit.

So as I sat there chillin', I heard the live version of Erykah Badu's "Tyrone" come on. Now I've heard the song a number of times, so I am very aware of the fact that at the very beginning she comes right out and says, "I'm gettin' tired of your shyt..."

The song is blaring, and she's about to start singing. I'm wondering if they're gonna bleep the word out. Well, as I continued to listen I quickly learned that the song would be played IN ITS ENTIRETY...profanity and all. I wasn't bothered by it, and simply thought, "Well alrighty then. That's the way things are done here."

I sat and enjoyed the song...listened to it come to an end, and do you know...they played that song AGAIN!!! Back to back!

At that point I was convinced...this wasn't Kansas, and this IS how things are done in New Orleans. Cool!

Suffice it to say...I now have a second favorite Starbucks.

Now, Let the DIALOGUE begin: Are you a regular Starbucks goer? If so, do you have a favorite. If so, which one?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

Here's the song. If profanity offends you, I thank you for reading today's post and you may want to stop here.

2 comments:

  1. Not a Starbucks goer. I'm a coffee beaner :) i used to love the one in west LA with the outside patio but now that I don't work in that area I guess my favorites are the Manchester/Lincoln location and then the Crenshaw/405 one but only cause it has a drive thru! makes my morning coffee runs easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a Coffee Bean-er. :-) If I could find a Coffee Bean that had the same vibe as my favorite Starbucks, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm all about the people and the experience. They can keep the coffee.

      Delete