Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Stick It To Me!

A few months ago I was suffering from excruciating back pain. Nothing I did seemed to bring any relief. I took over the counter pain meds like they were Skittles. Nada.

It finally got so bad I decided that I needed to see a medical professional.

Before calling my primary care physician to make an appointment, I decided to first give something new a try. I made an appointment to have acupuncture. Most folks avoid acupuncture because of the needles. After having three babies, and donating blood as many times as I have...needles don't bother me a bit. And...acupuncture needles are SUPER TINY, so those REALLY don't bother me.

I had my first session back in October and felt relief...almost instantly. The acupuncturist suggested that I come back the following week for another treatment. I did just that and again, felt relief. The pain was GONE...until this week.

Yes, months later the pain returned in full effect.

Yesterday as I was getting ready for work, it hurt so badly, I could hardly bend over to tie my shoes. And when I got to work, climbing the 22 steps to get to my desk was almost unbearable. My back was ON FIRE. Sitting for hours only made it worse.

I finally couldn't take the pain anymore and call the acupuncturist. Asked what time slots he had available and after work I headed right over.

As he stuck the needles in me, he commented on how tight my back was. Yep, it was tight alright. And to my surprise, I was very "jumpy." On the previous visits he stuck in pin after pin and I never moved. Yesterday, I flinched with every one. Not because I could feel them, but because my body was startled every time he touched me...almost as though my body has forgotten HOW to be touched. Now that's a dag-gon shame!

Anyhoo...he finally got them all in, turned on the electro-machine, applied some heat, and left me in the room to listen to ocean waves as I dozed off. He popped in once to make sure I was ok (I was until he woke me up), then popped out again for about ten more minutes. He came back in, removed the pins, rubbed some lotion on my back that felt like warm Bengay and I was set. Walked out of that place without a single ache, and when I woke up this morning, I popped right outta bed, got dressed, had no problems with my shoes, nor the stairs at work.

I'm sure that at some point I will need to get to the cause of my back pain. Not sure if I should do that NOW while the pain is GONE, or if I should wait until it comes back.

One thing I do know is that ACUPUNCTURE IS AMAZING and if you have any aches or pains, I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: I may have asked this before, but I'll ask again...Have YOU ever tried acupuncture? If so, how did it work out for you?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your back pain. I know it feels terrible. But I am glad that you got relief with acupuncture therapy. It’s a great way to naturally treat health issues. I too got my treatment for back pain from a local Mississauga acupuncture clinic for stress and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rebecca! And thank you for your comment. My life has been in a bit of a whirlwind lately and I somehow missed your comment. I am happy to hear that you too received relief from acupuncture. It definitely works and I wish that more folks would get over their fears of the tiny little needles and give it a try.

      Delete