Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Who's REALLY Blessed by a Blessing Box?

So a couple months ago as I was driving down the street (probably getting off of a freeway), the Lord placed it upon my heart to help those who I passed by. I wasn't sure exactly HOW I could help, I just knew that I was being CALLED to help.

I prayed about it and the idea came to me. Take empty shoeboxes and fill them with useful items like water, granola bars, toiletries, a note of encouragement, a card for "211", etc.

I was excited about this idea and the fact that I'd now have a way to help those in need. I've been praying and diligently seeking a career in such a field, but that door has yet to open, so this is a great way to serve others "in the meantime."

I posted on Facebook about the idea and some of my friends offered to donate items and shoeboxes. FANTASTIC!

So now, I always keep in my car a filled "blessing box" to be given to any person in need who I happen to pass by.

About a week ago I was able to give the first one away. I was excited. I get no more joy in anything that I do than the joy that I get from HELPING someone else. So I posted on Facebook that I had given away the first box, and I thanked those who had donated items to help make the boxes possible.

Well today, I was able to give away another box. This one warmed my heart because the gentleman that I gave it to smiled from ear-to-ear once he asked me what was in it and I told him. His response was, "Oh cool!" I was thrilled about being able to help yet another person and I wanted to share that joy with my Facebook friends.

Well...no sooner than I posted about it, someone messaged me and basically accused me of being "self-righteous" and "showy" by telling about the boxes that I'm giving away, based on Matthew 6:1.

Now I will be completely honest by saying, that really upset me...HURT ME actually. Anyone who knows me...and I mean REALLY knows me, knows that I do what I do out of the goodness of my heart, as a servant of Christ. Not to receive any accolades or special recognition. And I had even added in my post that with every box I give away...To God be the Glory! I am not trying to take any credit. I am simply a vessel, trying to let my light shine so that others may see Christ in me.

There are too many homeless folks out on the streets who need SOMEBODY...if not ME...then ANYBODY...to HELP them. Maybe by posting about the "blessing boxes" someone else will be encouraged to help someone too. Not because I'M doing it, but because God (through me) has placed it upon their heart to do so. Where is the harm in that?

Earlier this morning I posted a clip by a man named Clayton Jennings who was asking the question, "Where are you going?", with regard to where we will spend eternity after this life, based on our decision about Christ. I felt that was important enough to "share" so I did...with a note about how I would probably be "unfriended" by some folks after the post because it was too "Jesus-y" for some people's taste. I said that because I have been "unfriended" in the past right after posting about Jesus. At this point though...it's not about how many Facebook friends I have, it's about spreading the TRUTH about salvation.

Well...I was accused of being "negative" by stating that I'd probably be unfriended. I wasn't being "negative". I was simply stating a fact based on MY past experience. Folks don't seem to understand that.

Oh, and apparently I'm "fake" because I'm upset about an issue, that again, someone doesn't understand. How 'bout this...I am one of the most GENUINE people that most people know. Ask 99.99% of the people who know me and they will tell you this. Because I get upset about an issue does not make me "fake"...it makes me HUMAN!!! I'm sorry if I don't agree with what everyone else says 100% of the time. I have a right to disagree, and I have a right to be upset for as long as it takes me to not be upset. We are all different and we process emotions differently. But because I process mine the way that I do...I'm "fake". Ok.

People seem to think that they can throw words around and that those words just turn into vapor, never landing anywhere. Nope. Wrong. When the words are directed at ME...they land in my heart, where it hurts.

Thankfully, although some seem to think that I am "self-righteous" or "fake"...God knows my heart. He knows my TRUE motives. He knows why I do what I do. And I believe, with 100% certainty that He is pleased...and THAT is all that matters.

So...to answer the question, "Who's Really Blessed by a Blessing Box?", ultimately, the answer is ME. Being able to help others and make a POSITIVE difference in this world with this short amount of time that I have here on Earth is ALL that I want to do. It's what I strive for EVERYDAY. Since I'm not able to help others via my career (at least not yet), I have to help them in any way that I can, on my own.

So yes...with each box that I give...the blessing may be temporary for the recipient, or may only last for as long as the items in the box do. But MY blessing is long-lasting, because I've been able to operate in my purpose. That's all I want to do. I've always said, and will continue to say, "Our greatest blessings come when we are a blessing to others."

With tear-filled eyes today (because I'm just so tired of being misunderstood), Let the Dialogue Begin: When was the last time that YOU were blessed by something you RECEIVED?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

(Day 3/21)



No comments:

Post a Comment