Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Let's Talk About SEX!!!

Okay...now that I have your attention...no, we WON'T be talking about SEX. However, we WILL be talking about DEPRESSION.

I'm sure that I've written on the subject before, but with the recent celebrity suicide, I felt the need to write about it again.

I have heard so many rumors about what the reason may have been for this celebrity's suicide. But the bottom line is...who really knows? I've heard that he may have left a note which could possibly provide some insight, but even then...how much can a note really explain?

Then I got to thinking about myself. My world is currently spiraling faster that I can withstand. And as I've said before, all that I really have to hold onto, is my FAITH. Yes, my faith is the glue that holds me together when my world is falling apart.

I am thankful for my faith, yet realize that so many others don't share in the same, or don't participate in any faith at all. It leaves me to wonder...what holds THEM together when their world is crumbling?

Anyway...I made a bold move today and told a friend about my current situation and the circumstances that led up to it. Immediately, after I told him, I felt like a weight had been lifted. It just felt so good to talk to someone who wasn't being PAID to listen to me. I've been needing that for sooo long. A listening ear. His response, "You're depressed." I was like, "Um, yeah." He asked if I was on "meds" and I told him no. Nor do I want to be. I don't need my mind altered to cope with what I'm going through...I need TIME. And time is what I'm taking.

I wish that others would take the same.

There were lots of Facebook posts yesterday and today about depression, yet the one I found most interesting was between two of my friends...one, a believer in Christ...the other, not.

In a nutshell, the "non-believer" was wondering if believers never get depressed since our answer to everything tends to be: PRAY.
The believer said, "No. We do get depressed. We pray AND we seek help."

For the most part, I would say that's true. Yet there are still too many in the church who are depressed and not telling anyone about it. I happen to be one. NONE of my church members know about my current "life situation". NONE. Why not? Because I fear that they will "look at me sideways" and/or at the very least...think I've flipped my lid. So...I keep a happy face and don't say anything to anybody. Life just seems easier that way.

Mind you, I have no problem admitting that I see a therapist (which I do), who's been helping me develop coping strategies for my job. And every now and then she asks about other life issues, but 90% of our sessions have been work related.

So...I've said all that to say this...if you need help...GET IT. There is NO SHAME in getting help. NONE. Let the weight be lifted.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: How do YOU handle depression when it hits?

Talk to me!

Til next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment