Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Older AND Wiser?

Old people! They crack me up sometimes. Other times, they make me shake my head.

One thing that I have particularly noticed about old people is that they do not "bit their tongues." Similar to children, if something is on an old person's mind, they are gonna LET YOU KNOW...good, bad, or otherwise.

Often times what they say can be a bit hurtful. But do they ever apologize? NOOO. Old people feel that after all their years of living, they have the RIGHT to say want they want, whenever they want...PERIOD.

I first discovered this with my great-grandmother during one of my summer visits to Ohio. In my opinion she was never the nicest woman. Not when I visited as a young child and not when I visited as a young adult.

The last time I saw her was at least 23 years ago. It may have been longer than that, I just know that the last time I was in Ohio was 23 years ago...can't quite remember if she was still alive then. So if it wasn't on that trip, it was on the trip before.

She inquired about my mother and I answered. She then said something so rude and hurtful about my mother that I began to cry. My mother. Her granddaughter. And all she could find in her heart to say was something mean. Needless to say...when she finally died at 105, I didn't shed a tear.

I said all of that to make a point about how some old people have absolutely NO FILTER.

So now we fast forward (rewind) to last Saturday.

I was out with some ladies and one of them is a bit older than I. Somehow we got on the topic of hair. She wears hers very short, like close to the scalp short. I mentioned to her that mine used to be short, like not even a quarter inch long. She was surprised by that so I showed her a picture of myself with the much shorter hair.

She looked at the pic...looked at me, then said, "Hmph! You need to go back to THAT style. It was much cuter than your hair is now and you looked younger too."

Well, I'll be!!!

I didn't even know how to respond to that.

Was I insulted? A lil bit.

Did it take me long to get over the comment? Not-at-all. I quickly reminded myself of her age and that unfiltered comments like those come with the territory.

Kinda made me wonder what I will be like when I get her age. Will I be mindful of other folks' feelings and  THINK before I speak. Or will I just let'er rip like the old folks do?

Who knows.

Gotta tell ya though, I've been lookin' at that old pic and just MIGHT do the "BIG CHOP" once again. I've done it twice since 2013 so one thing I know for sure is that the hair will grow back. Maybe this time it'll grow back healthier, or, maybe...just maybe...I'll keep it short for a change. After all, it makes me look cuter and younger, right?

Now Let the DIALOGUE begin: What's the RUDEST thing an old person has ever said to you?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment