Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Where you at?

With the advances in technology and the worldwide usage of Facebook, it's become much easier to share where we are, who we're with, what we're doing, with just a touch of a button.
I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of Facebook users have "checked in" to a place at least ONCE. At least!

I "check in" often, however those who know me well know that I am very specific as to when I "check in." If you're a friend of mine and you are reading this, you've probably already said to yourself, "Yes, I know. You 'check in' when you are LEAVING a place...NOT when you ARRIVE."

Yep. That's how I do it.

I dunno. It's not that I'm so popular that folks are just gonna roll up on me. I just don't like disclosing my location...until I've LEFT the location, or am on my way out. That's just me.

I get a little giggle when I'm out with friends who like to "check in" when we arrive and they'll stop before posting and say, "Hey, are you okay if I check us in now?" That's how well they know me.

I typically say yes. I mean really, who am I...the Facebook Police? It's YOUR page, and YOUR post. I have NO right to tell someone that they can or can not post something. If it truly bothered me, I would ask that I not be tagged. But, it doesn't, and even if I am "tagged," it doesn't show up on MY page until I "allow" it on my timeline, so...it all works out.

In my case, most of my "check ins" have been at churches; my own, along with the ones I've visited. I don't really need folks to know every time I dine out, or go to Costco, or things like that. But I love sharing where I've worshiped. So after service is over (before I leave), I "check in" and post the title of that day's message along with the Scripture(s) that message came from. I do this because I understand that many folks don't go to church. Can't tell you how many times I've read or heard my friends say, "I don't do 'organized religion'." That's okay. I don't either. I do "relationship with Christ." BIG difference. However, in my '"relationship," I have been compelled to share God's message with others in the hopes that someone (even if it's only ONE person) will be inspired to look into God's Word (in whatever setting is comfortable for them), and in the process, also develop a "relationship with Christ." That's my small way of sharing The Gospel.

For the most part, I think "check ins" are great. I've found some great restaurants to try as a result of my friend's "check ins." And the churches that I have visited have also come by way of my friend's "check ins." So for me, they've proven to be beneficial.

In some cases though, I've found "check ins" to be potentially detrimental. This is when it comes to children. My skin crawls just a wee bit whenever I see a friend checking in at their child's school. When my kids were younger, I never did that until it was their LAST day of school...at that school.

I mean, I get it. The only folks seeing the post are "friends" so there should be no harm with any of them knowing where a child attends school. But in the grand scheme of things...this is THE INTERNET, so you just never know where info will end up. When it comes to children, I don't think it's wise to take such a risky chance. Heck, even when my daughters were in college, I was reluctant to post when I was at their schools. College! So yeah. If I had my druthers, I would caution parents to STOP posting where their children (at least in grades pre-k thru 12) go to school. But that's just me, and everyone is entitled to raise their children however they see fit as long as it isn't causing any harm.

Well...that's my rant for the day.

Now it's your turn. Let the DIALOGUE begin: Do you "check in" on Facebook? If so, have you ever given any thought to when you do so?

Talk to me, and tell me...where you at?!?

Til next time...

1 comment:

  1. hmm I do check in at places not regularly though. depends on my fickle minded mood! lol!

    ReplyDelete