Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, September 5, 2016

Tag Check!

This morning I spent a considerable amount of time posting items on eBay   to sell.

I listed 13 items and have 4 more bins full of clothes to post. I am determined to get them ALL listed within the next 7 days.

I don't know how most eBay sellers go about listing their items but I happen to be a bit meticulous. I iron everything and then photograph them "on display." After photographing, I then post on eBay and add a description along with the price I want.

One part of the listing asks where the product was made. I'm not sure if that's a new field or if I've always just bypassed it before, but this morning I actually populated that field for EVERY item and was saddened and disappointed to find that NOT A SINGLE ONE was "Made in The U.S.A."

I had items made in Egypt, El Salvador, Mexico, China and Vietnam.

That got me to wondering WHY we don't make more clothing here in these great United States of America. I immediately answered my own question. COST.

It costs far less to have items made "overseas" than to do so here on "American soil."

I've often heard folks say, "Well sure, we could manufacture those items here, but then we'd have to pay the legal wage to our workers and that would drive the price of the items up."

That got me to wondering again.

Just how much would the price of, say...a pair of jeans increase if they were made here? And most importantly, would we (I'll throw myself into the mix) who are demanding that jobs be "brought back to the U.S." be willing to pay that increase?

I mean, yeah...it would hit consumers a bit harder in the pockets, but...it would greatly benefit our economy by way of creating more businesses (here) which would in turn employ more U.S. citizens. Personally, I think that's worth paying and extra dollar or two when we look at the overall picture, especially if the businesses are located in the inner city/urban areas where so many folks need work and opportunity.

In my opinion though (and this is just my opinion as I am certainly NOT an expert in business), I believe that many of the jobs can be brought back, workers can be paid a fair and legal wage, and...consumer pricing does NOT have to increase? Why do I think those things are possible? Two words --- CORPORATE GREED.

I'm fairly certain that if the higher level executives who are cashing in fat paychecks would TRULY desire to see our country thrive economically by bringing jobs back, then they will agree to take cuts. I mean c'mon...most of them wouldn't even feel a financial difference, and the cuts could possibly work out to be less than what they currently pay in taxes. So my way (again, just my opinion) is the best way to go, and a "win-win" all around.

Unfortunately, I think I may be part of a very small minority.

Many folks will demand that jobs be brought back here, but when they find out that they will be directly effected by such an action, the demands get pretty silent.

So, what is the solution? I wish I knew.

In the meantime, I will continue to post my items and hope that somewhere in these 4 bins of clothes, I will find something that was made here in the U.S.A.

Who knows? Maybe I'm part of the problem. I can honestly say that when I buy clothing, I rarely (if ever) look to see where it was made. I just don't. I typically look at the price and if it's within my budget, I get it. Perhaps I can be more mindful going forward with regard to looking for more products that are made here. Hopefully that won't leave me naked, with nothing to wear. I know...that's pretty drastic, but considering that so far, NONE of the items I posted were made here...things could end up that way...hypothetically speaking.

Now Let the DIALOGUE begin: Let's do a lil experiment. YOU...right there...right now...look at the tags on the items you're currently wearing and let me know where they're made. I'll go first and tell you that the Old Navy tank top I'm wearing was made in El Salvador and my Danskin pants were made in Cambodia. Yep! So go 'head...take a look at yours. Then...

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment