Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I.C.E.???

Those who know me know that I like to walk for exercise. I walk at least 3 times a week, 5 when I'm able.

Although I really enjoy walking with my running group, Black Girls RUN!, lately I've been unable because my schedule just hasn't allowed it. So I've been walking closer to home, some days with my son.

The past 2 days I've walked by myself because my son wasn't home. Whenever I walk alone safety is always at the forefront of my mind. I tend to think about 2 things:

1. If someone abducts me, who would know, and would I be found?
2. If I have a medical emergency, who would anyone contact?


I don't even know HOW to address the first question. I guess I need to start letting somebody know where I'm going, and my route. I rarely do that.

For the second question though, this is where "I.C.E." comes in handy on the cellphone. "I.C.E." by the way, stands for "In Case of Emergency".

I have two problems with both questions.

1. My smartphone (like most) locks, and without knowing the pass code, there's no way to get in and find my "I.C.E." contact.
2. I DO NOT HAVE AN "I.C.E." contact.

No husband. No "significant other". NOBODY.

Yes, I have 3 children, one under 18 (so I couldn't list him anyway), one over the age of 18 and the other over the age of 21, but I would not want them to be bothered with a call telling them that I've had an emergency. That's just too much to put on them. And I've come to the very recent realization that unless the person is my husband/significant other or my child...nobody really cares. People have lives of their own and I can not expect them to put me on the front burner and everything else on the back. Doing that just leads to disappointment and it wouldn't be fair to them or me (not sure if that was grammatically correct, but in my mind, it works).

It's also a reason why I hate doctor's visits. They always want me to update forms, and there's always that dreaded line for "Emergency Contact". I mean really, what is a person supposed to put there when there's no one to list??? Children can list parents. Husbands can list wives. Wives can list husbands. But me???

So other than my children right now, until a husband/significant other comes along there's NO ONE.

And no, I'm not having a "pity party", I am simply stating the facts. THERE IS NO ONE. At least no one human, here on earth.

That leaves only One. My "I.C.E." contact is GOD. The ONLY One I can count on and trust. Again, not having a "pity party", just stating the facts.

He knows what to do with me if I have an emergency and my emergency would not be an intrusion on Him. I trust Him.
He knows my desires if I end up in a life altering situation. I trust Him.
He knows how long I'll stay here on earth and when it's time to go. I trust Him.


So am I worried when I'm out walking alone? Not at all. It'll still be "one foot in front of the other", and I'll be just fine.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: Do YOU
have an "I.C.E" contact? If not, what's your plan?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. Funny I had this conversation with myself a month ago. The trigger: I was training for the beach babe bike ride and I was riding down centinela and my bike tire got stuck and I went-a-flying off my bike into the street!
    that made me think about who my ICE should be. I moved to LA alone. I have no family here just friends I've made since being here. So I ldecided to get a road Id bracelet an listed my Pastor as my emergency contact. I then gave my pastor a list of my family members w/ phone numbers In the event something were to happen. I even took it a step further and gave them copies of my medical insurance cards! lol! doesn't hurt to be safe and over prepared! oh but I have yet to wear the road Id bracelet! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's GREAT advice Kyra. Since this post I've had to fill out yet another form where I was required to list an emergency contact. Minutes passed by before I finally just listed my oldest daughter. I sooo didn't wanna do that, because I would hate for ANY of my kids to be the FIRST ones to get any bad news about me, but there just isn't anyone else. I think I will talk to my Pastor and see if he'd be ok with me listing him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this got me thinking. I have my ex-wife listed as I.C.E then my parents then my ex-mother-in-law. I never thought twice about it. They are the closes adults I would want to be called first. Then the locked phone got me. I never entered names and numbers under the "Emergency" contacts. (Now I have) put your girls since they are of age. At least for emergencies. I tried the lock phone list first to make sure it worked too. It did. I hope you get husband soon.

    ReplyDelete