Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Sunday, July 14, 2013

It's MY Birthday and I'll do what I want to!

Yes folks, today is my birthday. And a wonderful birthday it has been!

It began with church service where my best friend (of 36 years) attended because that was my special birthday request. No,church isn't her thing, but for ONE day out of the year she was willing to do something that's not her thing, because it is MY thing.
Seeing her there made me happy. And that happiness superceded the disappointment that I felt over the fact that my other best friend (of 33 years)was not there. No, church isn't her thing either, but for me, you'd've thunk she would make an exception. And maybe she would have if it weren't for the 15 mile bike ride that we were originally going to do to celebrate my day.

Yes, I was excited about the ride. Yes, she registered and paid for it. And yes, I let her know that we weren't going to be doing the ride afterall because I would rather be at church. Yes...church is where I wanted to be on MY birthday.

So I send the first text letting her know about the cancellation. Crickets. No reply.
I send a 2nd text to make sure that she got the 1st. Crickets again.
Ok...I guess you're mad.
I didn't call because I hate confrontation and I hate having people over talk me without letting me get my point out. So...my preferred method of communication in situations like theses is a letter. And that's what I did.

I wrote her a letter and enclosed a check to reimburse her for the registration fee. You'd think that would settle the issue. Well...apparently not. She hasn't responded to my letter nor did she wish me a happy birthday.
First time in 33 years. I guess it's like they say...there's a first time for everything.

So...who knows? Is this the end of a 33 year friendship? I would hope not, but the ball is clearly in her court. I gotta admit, I'm baffled by the whole thing. I mean really! I could understand if I were messin' around with her man, or lied to her, or did something MAJOR like that. But change MY plans for MY birthday, and for THAT she's angry?!? I just don't get it.

But I'm at a point in my life where I can't worry about it. I can't change her heart or mind. After 45 years I have been "thrown away" by so many people that being "thrown away" by one more won't really make a difference. No, I never thought that SHE of all people would through me away, but maybe my shelf life of friendship was up. Who really knows? Until she begins talking to me again (if she ever does), I'll never know.

And please, don't tell me to "be the bigger person" and CALL her. I have been the "bigger person" for 45 years, asking people to "come back" over stuff that wasn't even my fault. I'm tired! Either I have value, or I don't. That's it. That's all.

So, as the title of the post says, "It's MY Birthday and I'll do what I want to!" I've done what I wanted and I've had a fabulous 45th birthday!

Let the DIALOGUE begin
: Have you ever lost a friendship because you changed YOUR birthday plans?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

4 comments:

  1. I've been on the other side of this situation, and I can say that it also sucks. Sure, it bothered me for a while, but I still wished them a happy birthday. It's kind of petty to not wish them a happy birthday. I would say just give it time to settle, and as long as you are willing to look past the other person not wishing you a happy birthday, it should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I imagine that it would be pretty crummy if the original plans were something that you (the invited guest)were really looking forward to. In this case, maybe she was, but I won't know until she speaks to me again. And yeah, even though it hurt that she didn't wish me a happy birthday, I am one of the most forgiving people that most people know. So looking past that won't be an issue. Our 33 yr friendship is worth far more than an absent birthday wish. Thanks again for your comment. I appreciate it :-)

      Delete
  2. you already know how i feel, my friend... it hurts my heart that this was done to you- the kindest person i know. as with all things, this too shall pass. you've done your part, now it's on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks for commenting. Now I know that I'm not just talking to myself. Yep, all I can do is pray and wait because I'm not about to grovel. Those days are over.

      Delete