Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Voice in Words

For as long as I can remember I have LOVED to write.

As a young girl at the age of 7, I would write stories for my #1 Fan, my best friend...my Grammy. No matter how uninteresting or non-nonsensical the stories were, she would ALWAYS encourage me and tell me to keep writing.

I still remember the day when I walked into her kitchen and there on the table was a typewriter...for me. I was only 7!!!

She gave it to me so that I could type my little heart away writing books.

Well I typed, and typed, and typed some more. To this day I can not tell you what ever happened to that typewriter, and I have yet to finish even ONE book. But that memory remains and so...I've got to get to it.

WHY DO I WRITE?

I write because writing is the only time that my voice is truly heard.

People do not, nor have ever fully listened to me when I speak. There's usually and interjection, or a rebuttal, or just total disinterest altogether. People just don't hear me. And it's not about the volume of my words, it's just me. People don't hear me.

Writing however, has ALWAYS allowed my voice to come over LOUD AND CLEAR. I've written many letters in my day and never once has anyone ever asked, "What did that mean?"

In writing, my thoughts are very clearly conveyed and are delivered without interruption.

So yes, I write to be heard.

I realize that I am not the best writer in terms of style or grammar, I never remember whether or not the punctuation marks go inside or outside of the quotation marks, and frankly...I don't care. I am not perfect and neither is my writing.

I also recognize the fact that I over-use commas. And again, I don't really care. This is me and if I've got to be stressed out over commas and quotation marks then that takes my joy out of writing. I choose to keep the joy.

Oh, and let's not forget the Ellipsis, you know, the...that I use ALL the time. Yep...I'm keepin' that too. I probably use it way more than necessary but when I write I hear the need for it in my head, so I use it...a LOT.

I also write because it's therapeutic (and much cheaper than therapy). When there's no one else to talk to I just pour everything out on paper. Sometimes I tear the paper up the moment the last sentence is completed. Other times I've kept the words for years only to go back and THEN tear them up.

Writing is my outlet.

Some people drink, others do drugs, and who knows what else to relieve the stresses of this life. Me, I write.

This blog (although neglected at times) has been my friend. Always here when I need to purge. Sometimes it's lonely, just me & my blog, because it was intended to be shared with many. A DIALOGUE, but most days feeling like a MONOLOGUE. I won't lie. It's quite disappointing asking folks to support me in my writing efforts and they don't, but I am ever so thankful for the ones who do. It is for YOU that I continue to write as much as it is for myself.

Yes, I AM A WRITER with my OWN style. Afterall, no two people in the world are exactly alike...why should all writers be?

Now it's YOUR turn. Let the DIALOGUE begin: Do you write? If so, why?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

***
This is post #7 inspired by the book "642 Things to Write About" and this will be the LAST time I add this little addendum at the end of the post. Going forward, if you see the post labeled as "642" then you'll know that it was inspired by the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment