Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Rule XV

Every morning when I wake up I begin my day with prayer. For the past couple of weeks I have also incorporated reading a chapter from Og Mandino's, "A Better Way to Live."

There are so many great principles in that book...seventeen to be exact. He calls them "rules."

This morning I read "Rule XV" and it spoke so loudly to me based on things, or more specifically, PEOPLE I've been dealing with lately. It helped justify some of my recent decisions and reinforced the fact that although some decisions may be painful, they're necessary in order for me to maintain a positive level of health and wellness.

Bottom line (and I'm paraphrasing):
I do not have to allow negativity into my space. If someone is bringing me down, intentionally hurting me, unintentionally hurting me (but when I make them aware of the offense they CHOOSE to do nothing about it), and/or only speaking negativity into my life...the decision is up to me with regard to how close I let them get to me.

At this point in my life, I can only have those around me who are here to support, encourage, uplift (and most certainly NOT smile in my face while STABBING me in the back).

My circle may be growing smaller, and folks may be hating and/or calling me everything but a "Child of God." That's ok I imagine. I have spent ALL of my life trying to make other folks happy...walking on eggshells so as not to offend them or "make them mad" at me. But where has that gotten me? It's gotten me disrespected and having folks think they can treat me any old way. Well...NEWSFLASH...those days are GONE.

As I said in a previous post, the older I get, the more I become like my Mother. She spoke her mind ALWAYS. If someone offended her, she confronted them. If they walked out her life afterward as a result, she was ok with that. She didn't suppress her feelings for the sake of "being liked." You either liked my Mother for the "real deal" that she was, or you stepped. No skin off her nose, as she would say...and none off mine either.

As Porky Pig would say..."That's All Folks!"

It's a BEAUTIFUL morning, and my day is JAM PACKED with FANTASTIC people I love spending time with. I've been looking forward to this day for WEEKS. So I'm about to get out there and "let it do what it do!" I hope you do the same.

For those who love me...and I mean GENUINELY love me...I love you right back! MUAH!!!
And for those who don't...I love you too (because Christ commands me to). You've simply taught me that I need to love YOU from a distance.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: What do YOU have planned for this lovely Saturday?


Talk to me!

Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning thinking I was supposed to be in Santa Barbara to watch Bald eagles. When I went to print my ticket, I noticed it was for Sunday Dec 6th! OH well, I was dressed and camera gear packed, so off to the beach I went. I walked, I sat, I took picture, I was just in Awe! Then I said well let me go check out these "holiday lights" at the Getty Center....such a disappointment! False advertising at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a bummer. But I'm glad you got to spend time at "My Place of Peace." That's too bad about the "holiday lights." It sucks when you expect something to be one way and it ends up being a "let down." Now...how 'bout those Bald Eagles. Are you still gonna go see them today? If so, I'm sure you'll take GREAT pics...you always do. :-)

      Delete
  2. I did make it out there today. that drive exhausted me! I flipped through the pictures quickly on my computer and took a nap, I posted 1 shot of an eagle. I'll make an album everything later

    ReplyDelete