Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

777-9311

So here's a question for women who are in MY age range:

Remember when you were younger and when a guy would be interested in you and ask for your number, you'd give him what was called a "bunk" number...also known as "the WRONG number" if you weren't interested?"

Yes, back in those days we could do that because there were no cell phones so by the time he'd get home and call...you would be LONG gone (and just have to hope that you'd never run into him again).

With the advent of technology, and everyone having a cell phone at their fingertips now...giving someone one a "bunk" number these days is virtually impossible. Here's why.

Recently I met a guy and we got a bit of a conversation going. Soon thereafter, he had to go his way and I had to go mine. I thought he was a nice enough guy...and good looking...but I didn't think much more than that. I just thought he was a cool dude and we vibed well in the short amount of time that we talked.

As we got ready to part, he suggested looking into some things for me that we had briefly discussed. I found that to be a very kind gesture. He then whipped out his phone and said, "So let me get your number and I'll call you when I have that info." SMOOTH. I thought that was REAL SMOOTH.

I rattled off my number and watched him plug it in.

We said our goodbyes...I went left...he went right, and that was that.

WRONG!!!

That WASN'T that!

Less than five minutes later I noticed that I had a "missed call" that was followed by a text letting me know who the number belonged to. HE is the ONLY person I know in his area code, so it wouldn't have been tough for me to figure out whose number it was, but I had to giggle at the way the whole thing went down. Just like in the days of old...he had to make sure that the number I gave him was good. I gotta admit...I was a bit flattered by that.

Anywhoo...we've sent a few texts back and forth since then, and I'm actually looking forward to a phone CALL one of these days. The texts are nice, but I'm "old skool" and prefer the sound of a voice far more that reading words through a screen.

One of these days (depending on how things go), I'll share who he is, how we met, and all that good stuff.

Til then...Let the DIALOGUE begin: LADIES...When was the last time a man asked for your number? Did you give it to him? Did you give him a fake one? Or did you decline altoghther?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. I actually have a google voice number I give out to men who think when I say "No" means "convince me". It's linked to a gmail account I use for all my spam emails and it's not connected to my name. It has my voice saying "Hey! It's me! Leave me a message!" The "its me" is for if I give the guy a fake number. I also tell the guy that my phone battery is dead, so if they call me right now it will go straight to voicemail (which is does). These messages and texts go into the ether, unheard and unacknowledged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT's a GREAT idea! Thankfully, in THIS case, I didn't mind giving my correct number...but that google voice number is definitely somethin' to look into for future encounters. :-)

      Delete
  2. I give out my real number but once they text or call it gets added to my blocked called list on my phone so it goes straight to VM and I never bother calling back.

    ReplyDelete