Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Outgrowing My Comfort Zone

It's been a little over two months since I visited the magical city of New Orleans. I brought back so many memories that I will continue to reflect on until I find myself there again. YES...I am going back!

One memory to speaks to me quite loudly, and often, is that of the street performers. Oh, how I loved their amazing talent. They were EVERYWHERE. One night I found myself enjoying the music so much that I stood on a corner in POURING RAIN, and listened for about an hour. I figured, "Hey...if the rain isn't stopping them from playing, it's certainly not gonna stop me from listening."

Although the various groups played different styles...similar, yet still subtly different, one commonality was their BOLDNESS in soliciting money from the crowds. As fantastic as they were, these performers were not entertaining "for their health." This was their LIVELIHOOD. And just as I get PAID for going to work each day...THEY expected (and DESERVED) the same.

So they all had a box placed in front of them on the ground for folks to toss in some cash. That box didn't stay on the ground for long though. Nope. Somewhere between songs, WHILE STILL PLAYING THEIR MUSIC...a member of the group (sometimes two or three) would pick up the box (or boxes in some cases) and take it TO the audience...practically FORCING folks to give. I LOVED THAT!!!

You see...these performers understood their worth...and if the audience was not going to voluntarily acknowledge that worth in the form of a monetary contribution, then they would be MADE to acknowledge the worth.

Don't get me wrong...the perfomers weren't holding guns to folks' heads and DEMANDING money, yet going around the audience and TAKING the box TO THEM, versus WAITING for folks to make a decision that they may not have made otherwise, is a much subtler approach, yet yields better results than just waiting for folks to contribute in their own time.

Seeing that happen, time and time again, made me realize that I must become as BOLD as those performers with regard to my blog, The Dialogue Den. I have been BEGGING folks to 'Like' the page on Facebook and STILL haven't reached 200. It's been so difficult for me to understand because in MY case, I'm not even asking for MONEY...I am simply asking for SUPPORT.

No...I may NOT be someones FAVORITE writer/blogger...but if we are FRIENDS (which I can say for ALL of my Facebook friends, because I don't accept nor send requests unless I know you in some way, shape or form)...then your SUPPORT toward my writing efforts should come easily. At least I would hope so. After all...friends support friends, right?

Writing is what I love to do...so why would anyone hesitate so encourage me in that...especially when it doesn't cost a PENNY to do so.

Even though I've wanted to make this bold move since my visit to New Orleans, I've been reluctant. Wondering what will happen if I do this and NOTHING happens. Then what? What I now realize is this...I will NEVER know that the results COULD be if I don't try.

So..."What's the bold move?" you're asking.

I have decided to select the option on Facebook that says, "Invite Friends to Like This Page." You have NO idea how far out of my "comfort zone" it will be for me to do that, but as the quote states:

"If you want something you've never had, then you've got to do something you've never done."

I'll never grow if I don't do something different, so...here goes.

Oh, but before I go and "push the button"...

Let the DIALOGUE begin: When was the last time you made a BOLD move in an effort to get something you wanted, and how did it work out for you?

Talk to me...

Oh...and if YOU like The Dialogue Den, I'm gonna make another bold move and ask you to please spread the word for me. I would appreciate that more than you can imagine.

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment