Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Money's Too Tight to Mention!!!

This morning I posted the following on Facebook:

"Q: How do you eat a $3500 elephant?
A: 100 $35 bites at a time.
I need help. I wouldn't think of asking ONE person for $3500 but perhaps 99 of you can GIVE (because I am unable to pay it back) $35 each.
Most of you know that I am a VERY private person and wouldn't get to this point of asking for help if I didn't really need it. Some suggested that I pawn some items but I'd have to HAVE something of value in order to pawn it. I don't have any. I live humbly and have very little.
For those who are struggling financially, PLEASE disregard this message. But for those who CAN spare it, YOUR generosity is greatly appreciated.
If you need to know what I need the $ for, it's to help a really good and deserving friend who is simply out of options. Most of you know me well enough to know that if I *could* help on my own, I *would*. Unfortunately, I just can't -- aside from $35 that I *am* able to offer (because I would never ask others to more than I am able to do myself).
Please keep any negative/unhelpful comments to yourselves. I'm sure that many will have unfavourable opinions about this post. I don't need those right now...I just need help for my friend.
Thank you in advance. For those who are able and willing, please message me and I'll give you my info.
1 John 3:17
"

I know that seems a bit out of the ordinary, but my friend's situation is EXTRAordinary, and I wasn't gonna sit back and not do anything when I know how greatly HELP is needed.

Unfortunately, but not very surprising...only TWO people responded. Out of 500+ "friends" (I know 500 isn't a lot compared to most, but this isn't a popularity contest...at least not for me), only TWO responded. That prompted me to write the following post, which I've just decided to share here because the same folks who ignored my earlier plea would just ignore this one as well. But, for poops and giggles, here it is:

"Out of 500+ "FB friends", I am sooo thankful for the TWO who took time to even respond to my earlier post about my friend in need. May God bless those two with the best that Heaven has to offer. If folks even knew the HALF of my friend's situation, more would've offered to help. It's pretty DIRE otherwise I wouldn't have taken such a drastic measure. All the time people complain about what's wrong in society. Well...THIS is what's wrong!

*Disappointed, but not surprised.*"


Yep...that sure is what I wanted to post.

So at this point I simply have to trust that all will turn out well for my friend. I wish I could help...really I do, but I just don't understand why it's so difficult for other folks to help. Perhaps if I said that I needed the money for myself, then folks would've stepped up. After all...many did that when I was unemployed with ZERO money coming in. My friends stepped up royally. Sure...I could have said that this time it's for me too...but that's dishonest and the last thing I need are ill-gotten gains.

At this point I will continue to pray for my friend, yet although I know that prayer works, I also know that sometimes there needs to be some action accompanying that prayer. In this case, there needs to be $3500 worth of action.

Anyhoo...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have you ever had to ask for money from friends and/or family? Notice I didn't say "borrow". I'm talking about money that you needed and KNEW you wouldn't be able to pay back.

Talk to me!

Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll dive in. I'm fortunate to know a lot of people. Due to school and having a ton of different jobs, I have come across a lot of people, many that I am happy to keep in touch with. That means I have also had friends in need approach me and ask for help. It's a very difficult choice to make about when and when not to help. I know that there are people who think we have a lot of money. Compared to some we do, compared to others we don't. I spend a lot of time praying about showing gratitude for my blessings by giving to others. I have my son assist with causes that we think are really helping others, so that he too learns the value of giving. I also spend a lot of time planning for the unexpected. I have had two relatives have strokes that left them incapacitated, neither of them had very much savings, and so are completely dependent upon their families. This is causing a lot of stress, because families aren't really set up to care for disabled people. I also have only one child, and so if anything happened to me or my husband in our later years, it will fall to my only child to care for us. Therefore, I am doing all I can to ensure that he won't be burdened overmuch with financial issues by staying insured, buying long term disability insurance, and trying to have an emergency savings account. I work very hard, and I have for a long time (you may remember that about me LOL), and I am planning to retire without being completely dependent upon social security, so I am very disciplined in my saving habits, and also in my giving habits. I ALWAYS GIVE TO SOMETHING. Not once a year, not twice, but frequently. That being said, I am cautious about where I give. With so many people in real need, I have to remind myself that I can't help everyone. Many, many people have truly heartbreaking stories, and their need is real, but I have to make the decision each time I am asked if this is a time where I should help. It's a tough decision, and a personal one, and I sincerely hope that you won't judge anyone who makes the decision not to help this person at this time. I know she is your friend, and I will pray for her, but please understand that we all have to help where we feel most compelled. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off --- THANK YOU so much for commenting. I have one "faithful" commenter, and it's rare when anyone else does (even though this blog is meant to generate DIALOGUE), so I really appreciate your feedback.

      Now...If nothing else, I appreciate your honesty -- especially with regard to being cautious about where you give. I must admit that this experience has been quite disappointing for me, especially with some of the unkind responses I have received. One person flat out told me, "Nobody is going to help your friend". That hurt, but it just made me realize that sometimes all we have in this world may be ourselves and one other person. In my friend's case *I* am the "one other person. I know that many people (like yourself) give, and give often to worthy causes. I happen to believe that my friend is worthy, but it seems that I am by myself in that thought. Nevertheless, in all things, God will provide. He may not come when we want Him, but He's ALWAYS on time.

      Delete
    2. Dionne the one thing that I admire about you is that you always see the best and hope for the best. But I am not gonna lie, when I first saw your post, my first thought was, people are not going to give. I try to be positive I know I don't pass that test all the time, but I think some of my positivity is being overtaken by reality. I know many people who are givers and more who are not. and even though everyone has the right to CHOOSE to give or not to give, they give to what they want or what is important to them - they are emotional givers. I understand you not wanting to give details, but the majority of people aren't give to someone or something without knowing the reason why. They're not going to help without knowing the Why. Keep your heart clear and please don't be disappointed. you know your bible and you know where you help cometh from. As for your friend, I know it's hard to sit by and not do nothing. But we can't play God for other people. It's heartbreaking to ask for and not get it, but sometimes God has to do this so we totally TRUST in Him. He has to get all glory and praises. If Man provided all the time our praises would go to man, we'd feel obligated to man, and this shouldn't be. So I hope you and your friend can find peace and comfort knowing that God is going to intervene and take care of the situation. I know you don't have the money to give, but your support is a help and I know you will find other ways to help your friend.

      Delete