Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

What's Cookin'?

So tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I couldn't care less.

I give thanks to God for His many blessings EVERYDAY of the year. It's the very first thing I do EVERY morning, and the very last thing I do EVERY night. And throughout the day there are many more thanks and praises sprinkled in. So for me, Thanksgiving is "just another day."

What tomorrow means to me, more than anything, is a much needed day off...followed by ANOTHER much needed day off. This is the 4 day weekend that I look forward to every year. Vacation days are so few and far between for me (and it seems that they accumulate like molasses), so when these 4 days come around I am absolutely ELATED.

I won't be cooking, but I have plenty of salmon and veggies to keep me perfectly happy if that's what I end up eating tomorrow.

I dunno.

Maybe I don't care much about Thanksgiving because my Mom is no longer here. But even when she was, we didn't do anything big or fancy. She and my dad had stopped cooking "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner YEARS ago. When I think about it...I did too.

I made a turkey and all the fixin's last year, and the turkey was terrible. Tough. Tasteless. Terrible. There was no LOVE in it at all. We had just had my Mom's homegoing service a couple days earlier and my mind was really not in the right place to prepare a big family dinner.

I picked up some things this evening to take to one of the homes that I've been invited to, and I might not even eat when I get there. I'm just not feeling Thanksgiving-ish AT ALL.

My kids were gonna by a bunch of food and have me cook it so that we could have Thanksgiving here at home, but I quickly vetoed that. I don't want to COOK, and I don't want to EAT. I just want to BE. As I write those words I realize that it's probably selfish of me to NOT cook. But it's not like they're not going to have Thanksgiving dinner...they're just not going to have it here.

Who knows. I might just find myself at the beach again. I'm guaranteed to have the place to myself again. There's so much I need to talk with the Lord about, and although I know I can talk to Him anywhere, the beach always makes our time together so very special. We'll see.

So anywhoo...that'll be my day tomorrow. I'm sure that I will attend Thanksgiving service at my church, but aside from that, the rest of the day is pretty much up in the air.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: Are you COOKING Thanksgiving dinner, or will you be dining with others at their homes?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Day After Thanksgiving! Well I spent my Thanksgiving with my adopted CA family! They kinda took me in as their own when I moved to California. It was fun, food is always good. But nothing will ever compare to actually being with family. I too have never cooked a turkey, and it kinda makes me nervous for when I will have to prepare thanksgiving dinner if I ever get my own family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Day After Thanksgiving Kyra! I'm glad you were able to spend the day with you adopted CA family. I went to church, then picked up two of my kiddos and we headed to the hospital to visit my Dad. I took them back to their Dad's house which was FILLED with family members and decided to stay there and partake. In spite of everything I'm dealing with lately, all in all...it was a good day. And yes...one day you WILL have a family of your own...so start working on your "turkey skills".
      :-)

      Delete