Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Friday, January 1, 2016

In the beginning...

With the start of another new year, I have once again commenced on a journey through The Bible as I do every year.

Many folks have NEVER read The Bible from cover to cover. I, have done so MANY times.

Some have wondered, "Why do you need to read it AGAIN if you've already read it ONCE?"

That's often a tricky question for me to answer because, unless one truly knows the power of God, and His word, they won't really understand my answer.

You see, for me, The Bible is always FRESH, and never gets old, stagnant or stale. Even though the words on the page NEVER change (because God's word is CONSTANT), what I get from those words CHANGES.

I can read a passage of Scripture today and come away with one meaning. I can go back to that same passage of Scripture a year from now, and take something completely different away from it. So even though I have read The Bible many times, there is ALWAYS something fresh and new to be gained.

I have also had people say to me, "I just don't understand The Bible", or, "Whenever I read, it just puts me to sleep."

I can understand both of those statements because at one time, those too were my experiences.

For the first, "I just don't understand The Bible," I had to do a few things in order to gain a better understanding myself.

One -- I needed to be in a BIBLE BASED church with a Pastor who preached and taught thoroughly and contextually because CONTEXT RULES. For the past 17 years, my Pastor has done just that.

Two -- I needed to understand that understanding was not simply going to come by attending worship service on a Sunday morning and then not opening my Bible anymore during the week. Nope. Doesn't work that way AT ALL.

Understanding comes by attending Bible Study and/or Church School (also known as Sunday school), and (turn the mic up) by STUDYING God's word on your own.

I always say, "The more of God's word I put in, the more of His word will come out...by my deeds, words, and actions toward others."
Similar to a bank account, if you never put any money in, there will never be anything to withdraw. If I never put God's word IN me, then how can I ever pull from it? Simple answer...I can't.

Three -- I always PRAY before I read. I thank God for His word, and ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate the word so that I can learn whatever it is that He wants me to learn at this particular time. For me, without praying first, the words are just letters on a page and I often miss what God is trying to tell me.

As for the ones who say, "Whenever I read, it just puts me to sleep." Again, I say...PRAY. I would also suggest reading in a place that's not so comfortable. Perhaps at the kitchen table, versus in your bed right before you turn in for the night. Personally, I always read on my knees at the side of my bed, and I have no problem with getting sleepy. Interestingly, that is the only way that I can read. I have tried reading at the table, or sitting in a chair or on the couch. None of those work for me though. Yet when I go in my room, get on my knees and open my Bible, I can stay there for quite a while, often not realizing how much time has passed.

So this year I am trying a new thing and I am reading The Bible in chronological order -- reading the events in the order in which they occurred. The format is quite different from what I am used to, so this will be an adjustment, yet I look forward to what God will reveal to me as I read it this way.

As I opened my One Year Bible this morning, I remembered buying one for a friend a few years ago. She wanted to strengthen her faith and asked me for some suggestions. She wasn't ready to go to church but still wanted to know more about God. I didn't want to just say, "Read your Bible" because (A) I wasn't even sure if she HAD one, and (B) The Bible is a HUGE undertaking for someone who is at the beginning stages of their faith walk. So I suggested the One Year Bible and even bought it for her. To this day, I have no idea if she's ever even read a page. I'd go to her home and see it on the coffee table, looking as new as the day it arrived. In recent visits I don't even think it was on the table anymore. Who knows? Maybe it found its way onto a shelf (where it will do her absolutely NO good), or possibly even in the trash. I highly doubt that she's reading it because "Super Soul Sunday" on TV has pretty much become her "church." She doesn't seem to think she needs anything else. I've never seen "Super Soul Sunday," so I can't accurately describe the teachings that are broadcasted. I would hope that someone on there is a Bible Teaching Pastor who is sharing the TRUTH about Christ. Otherwise, if it's just a bunch of Iyanla, Deepak, Oprah-esque "Motivational Speakers," the folks will be just as LOST when they tune OUT as they are when they tune IN.

So...that's how I'm kicking off my 2016, with God's word to lead me, guide me, and direct me. Lord knows I need some direction.

How 'bout you? Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have you read The Bible from cover to cover?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Dionne, I completed the bible cover to cover this past year. I used the 90 day plan and used the SOAP method (Scripture, Observation, Analysis, Prayer). I knew it was time to be disciplined and stop hop scotching through the bible. I can't wait to hear how this new method/plan will be for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Reading the entire Bible in 90 days! That's commendable!!! So far, in chronological order I haven't noticed much of a difference. It still started off in Genesis (which makes sense) but I'm sure that things will be switched around as I progress through.

      Delete
  2. In years past, I would make this a goal. But sadly, I have never read the bible cover to cover! I like the idea of reading it in Chronological order thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A One Year Bible makes it really easy to get through in a year. As with all things though, it takes discipline to read each day for about 15-20 mins.

      Delete