Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, March 7, 2016

Big Bad Bonus Bonanza!!!

Eleven months ago I interviewed for the position that I now currently hold with my employer.

In the interview I was informed about the "Profit Sharing Bonus" that employees are eligible for after two years of employment. That was exciting to hear!

I began my employment in May. Soon thereafter we entered our "busy season" which was INSANELY BUSY! As a result we started a record breaking streak, and at the end of the streak, we ended up with a HISTORY MAKING YEAR!

You know what that means...MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY, MO' MONEY!

Now I realize that I was being EXTREMELY optimistic, however...I felt that with such a HISTORY MAKING year, the two year employment requirement would be lifted, and we would ALL get to share in the profits. My take was this...If you were here to help make it happen, then YOU TOO should be rewarded. Even if the bonus for the newer employees had to be prorated to the amount of time that they'd been employed...at least they would get SOMETHING.

We even had a Q&A session with the owner of our company a few months back, and I threw my suggestion into the hat. Not surprisingly, he never read my question...at least not during the session.

When the session was over, he mentioned that he would be answering ALL of the questions that he wasn't able to get to during the allotted time and that the answer would go out in a company email.

Well...you can probably guess what happened next.

The email came out, and AGAIN...MY question was not answered.

Ok. I get it. My "Utopian" suggestion wasn't gonna happen. No biggie. I saw how it was. Didn't like it, but hey...it is what it is, right?

So a few weeks ago, I noticed a sign in the lunchroom announcing that "Bonus Day" is coming. What??? Bonus Day? Oh Dear!

A couple weeks ago our Supervisor went from person to person asking if they were "eligible for the bonus."

Now, was that REALLY necessary???

Surely, HR could have told him who was eligible and who wasn't. It's based on your hire date. EASY. There was absolutely NO NEED to go around the entire office asking that question. No need AT ALL.

Now here I'd been thinking that the eligible folks were gonna discreetly get their bonuses in their checks.

Nope!

Turns out that "Bonus Day" is a big PRODUCTION. There's a theme, and folks are encouraged to come dress in costume. At this news, I've gotta admit, I became a bit "salty."

You mean to tell me that folks are gonna get to parade around that day...amidst all of the folks who were NOT eligible for the bonus? Oh no! That ain't right!! To me, that's equivalent to being invited to a birthday party, taking a gift, and then being told that you will not be able to have any cake. You can sing "Happy Birthday" if you want...actually, you are ENCOURAGED to sing...BUT...do NOT expect to have a piece of cake, because at THIS party...there's NO CAKE FOR YOU!

Yeah, I realize that I'm thinking with my "inner 5 year old" brain, but REALLY...that's what this is.

Again though...to all of this I said, "No biggie."

Although I am happy for my co-workers who are eligible and will be partaking in the festivities, I am simply not mature enough to be there when it's all going down. So...I've requested the day off.

Problem solved...right?

WRONG!!!

Today at work, all of the eligible folks got badges that they are to wear ALL WEEK long that shows how many years they've received the bonus. Yep...Instead of this being a one-day event, it's actually a WEEK LONG AFFAIR. As you can imagine...it's gonna be a LOONNNGGGG week.

Anywhoo...perhaps when next year's "Bonus Day" rolls around, I will have the maturity level of at least a teenager with regard to this matter. It'll still seem wrong, but at least I'll deal with it better, and perhaps I'll actually come to work that day. As for this year...I'm just not there.

And for everyone out there saying, "You should be THANKFUL that you even HAVE a job...bonus or not." Yes, I get it, and I am. This is not that. This (at least for me) is a totally separate issue. I am quite thankful for my employment and don't take it for granted. There's just somethin' about the way that this whole bonus thing goes down that just doesn't sit well with me. That's all.

Now...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Does YOUR company give bonuses? If so, do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you are eligible to receive it?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment