Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Please Leave a Message.

Lately I haven't been getting much sleep. Actually, it would probably be more accurate to say that I haven't been getting much REST.

I go to bed tired and wake up tired, as if I never slept.

I'm sure that this is a result of all that's going on in my world.

The busy season is soon approaching at my job and already I'm on edge.

My Dad's been in hospitals and rehab facilities since November (as in...he hasn't been in his own home since then).

And there's "Joe." Wishy-washy, flaky, only God knows where he is right now, "Joe."

There never seem to be enough hours in a day for all that I need to get done.

And money has become extremely tight.

I just have TOO MUCH GOIN' ON!

A few weeks ago I was out with friends and I don't know how the subject came up but we somehow got on the topic of our phones and how we don't turn them off, which means that we are "technically" always "available."

My problem was that long after I'd turn in, text messages and phone calls would still come through. clearly, my bedtime hours are different from those of my friends.

I mentioned how I can't turn my phone off because my kids are away and I need to have my phone on in case there's ever an emergency and they need to get a hold of me.

One night, about a month or so ago...I was upset with THE WORLD and actually DID turn my phone off. Do you know that when I turned it back on the next morning I actually thought it was broken because the text message notification went off EIGHTEEN times in a row!!!

Had my phone been ON that night, that would have been EIGHTEEN times that I would have been wakened, and had my sleep disturbed.

Nevertheless, I didn't feel comfortable doing that on a regular basis.

Then my friend told me that she sets her phone to "DO NOT DISTURB" mode.

What's that???

She told me that in "DO NOT DISTURB" mode, she can specify who she WANTS to receive calls from, and BLOCK OUT everyone else. Basically, if anyone who's not on the "exceptions" list calls or texts during the "DO NOT DISTURB" hours, they will not "get through" until the "DO NOT DISTURB" period is over. SWEET!!!

Since then, I have specified my "DO NOT DISTURB" hours and my nights have been MUCH more quiet.

I also tried a new feature yesterday which was the "Auto Reject Call" option. I knew that it would reject any calls from coming in by designated contacts, but what I didn't realize was that when "said contact" calls, I am not even aware of it. I love that because it keeps me from being tempted to answer when I know I shouldn't.

I also discovered that the rejected calls DO show up in my call log, and that's okay. Doesn't mean that I have to call back...and I didn't.

So anywhoo...that's my lesson in technology. Once you know the options that are available, you can make 'em start workin' for ya.

Now...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have you recently discovered any new features on YOUR phone, and if so, have you tried them?

Talk to me (but not during my DO NOT DISTURB HOURS)!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment