Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

2014 - A Focused Year of...

So I just got home from what was a WONDERFUL time with four AMAZING people! The interesting part about these folks is that for the most part I've only known them for 4 months.

I had no idea back in September when I signed up to read a book with them for 40 days, that they people would come to mean so much to me. We met on Facebook and we are now LIFELONG friends!

For me, the connection with the group came right on time, or as I prefer to say...was orchestrated by God.

I was on a friend's Facebook page one day and I happened to click on the profile of one of her friends and the very first thing I saw was that a group was going to begin reading "The Purpose Driven Life" the next day. Hmmm.

I sat there for a few minutes, knowing that I'd always wanted to read the book, knowing that in my numerous attempts before I'd never finished the book, knowing that I was ready to try again...with THIS group of strangers.

I sent a message to the person who was forming the group, expressed my interest and asked if I could join. Next thing you know...I was in!

I was heading to North Carolina the very next day and knew that I didn't wanna fall behind. We were gonna be at this for 40 days...I was determined to keep up because I knew that if I fell behind I probably wouldn't stick with it.

So I scrambled to find the book. First, at the "Dollar Store". They were all out. Tried Target. Nothing. Walmart. Nada. I was running out of time because I still hadn't packed for my trip or anything, and my flight was scheduled to leave early the next morning.

Finally, I found it at a Barnes and Noble. Yes, I paid FULL price (which I rarely do). No, I didn't care. I HAD to have that book before takeoff.

On September 4th, me & my copy of "The Purpose Driven Life" made our way to Charlotte, North Carolina.

Now it wasn't just enough to READ the book. The whole PURPOSE of the group was to share our thoughts DAILY. And that's what I did. Although I didn't pack my laptop, I did pack my tablet. It wasn't ideal, but it served its PURPOSE, and I was able to contribute from the other side of the map.

Again, I had no idea when we began, just how close we would all become by Day 40. One of the "rules" of the group was to be transparent and to openly share our thoughts, struggles, and whatever else we were comfortable with. We did just that. And at the end of Day 40 I had a heart full of THANKS and LOVE for these people. Yep, it happened just like that.

Those who know me well know that I don't believe in coincidence. EVERYTHING happens for a reason and a PURPOSE. I believe that these four (and two others who weren't able to attend our gathering today)were placed in MY life by God, for a reason and a PURPOSE.

I entered the group confused and frustrated because I wasn't really sure of my PURPOSE. All that I really knew was that I'm not yet operating in it. At least, that's what I thought.

What I now know is that my PURPOSE is to GLORIFY GOD in ALL that I do. Yes folks, it's that simple.

So even if my current job doesn't match what I think I should be doing, somewhere in the process, I can still glorify God. Afterall, I wasn't called to "let my light shine" only WHEN and WHERE I think it should shine. It's supposed to shine at ALL times and EVERYWHERE I go...that includes my "9 to 5" telemarketing job. And that's just ONE of the many things that I learned while journeying through the book with these very special.

I love the way that we started out as a fairly sizable group of about 30 folks, and in the end, there were "just us". God knew from the very beginning that WE needed each other and that WE would get to the end TOGETHER. There are no mistakes and nothing happens by accident.

I could say so much more about those 40 Days and our experiences together, but instead, I will simply leave it at this:

Nick - THANK YOU for answering God's call to put this group together. You are loved and appreciated more than you know.
Oliver - THANK YOU for opening your doors and making us feel right at home.
Tonia - THANK YOU for your energy, your smile, your passion for God, and for sharing that lovely little girl of yours with us.
Randy - THANK YOU for being such an inspiration physically and spiritually. You always have such kind words for me and I appreciate them ALL.
Toya - THANK YOU for sharing your life experiences with us. I admire your creativity and desire to reach your goals.
Andrea - THANK YOU for your abiility to bring calm and clarity to a situation. Your peaceful spirit can be felt across the miles.

This was us. Our group of SEVEN...the number that represents COMPLETION.

As I close today's post, I'll end with the the words of our group's eloquent leader: "Purpose Driven Life friends. This has been a great year so far and part of the reason for that is because of you guys. 2014 is a focused year of purpose."

My sentiments exactly. Well said Nick, well said.

Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have YOU read "The Purpose Driven Life"? If so, how has it changed YOUR life?

Talk to me!

Til next time...





4 comments:

  1. Thank you my dear, love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. My life is so much better for having you all in it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to bring my cyber friends to life. I love it when that happens! YES Dionne we are connected for life!

    ReplyDelete