Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Makin' a Dollar out of Fifteen Cents

Some of you may recall from back in 1985 a song titled "Money's Too Tight (To Mention)" by Simply Red. That was one of my favorite songs by a really great band.

What I find interesting is that the song is as relevant today as it was in 1985. If the presidential references were omitted one really wouldn't know WHEN the song was originally sung. Yep folks, not much has changed since 1985...at least not for THIS girl.

So, as often happens, I found myself singing the song today as I contemplated the work that needs to be done on my 7 year old car. I am so very thankful that she still works, yet that never really lessens the blow when something breaks.

For example, earlier today I was asking about estimates for a windshield replacement because mine is cracking...little by little each day. So I put that on my "to-do" list to get taken care of.

Before I came home this evening, I stopped to get my oil changed only to be told (and shown) that something else needed changing as well. Some belt that was on the verge of snapping. Mind you, the guy showed me the belt and yes...it was on its way to snapping. That's about all I could tell you though. So...the $29.99 that I had in mind for the oil change immediately increased to an amount that I won't trouble you with...but I assure you that it was WELL above $29.99

As I sat for over an hour waiting for the work to be done, I could sense myself beginning to be angry. Angry that I had to shell out more money than I had originally planned. Angry that I'll have to spend even more to get the windshield replaced. Angry that on top of those things, I still have day to day household stuff that needs to be taken care of. And I began to feel overwhelmed, sensing myself about to cry right there in the oil change place. Not crying because I'm a wimp, or sad, or can't handle life, but just wanting to cry because times like these are when I am most aware of the "singleness" of my situation, and really wish that there was someone else who could step in and handle the "car stuff"(and so much more)for me. Sometimes I just get tired of making ALL the decisions. Not trying to be a downer, it just is what it is.

Nevertheless, the work was done, I pulled up my "big girl pants", paid what was owed and came home. Not a tear was shed.

But once again my eyes were opened to just how much work there's still to be done in order for me to get to where I WANT to be. I'm thankful for what I have, thankful that I AM able to pay for unexpected expenses when they come up, but looking forward to being in a place financially where every expense doesn't have to be so thought out.

Mind you, I am a bit of a miser so even with $1,000,000.00+ in my bank account, I would STILL be frugal. I've always been that way and always will be, no doubt.

So...at this point, 1 of 3 things need to happen for yours truly:

1. I work hard/smart to get to where I want to be financially.

2. I marry rich.(Of course, I'd be marrying for more than money...those who know me would attest to that. Yet 4 or 5 zeros before the decimal point sure would be nice).

3. I win tonight's California Super Lotto Plus


Yes folks, I will be happy with ANY and ALL of the above. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Now...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Do YOU play the Lotto? If not, why not?

Talk to me!

Til next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment