Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Friday, July 3, 2015

Let's Talk about Hair!

So a couple weeks ago I went and got my hair done professionally. The last time I had my hair done was November 22, 2014 -- the day of my Mom's Homegoing service.

Although I love wearing my hair pressed...my pressed hair doesn't love me. When pressed, my hair now goes from Europe back to Africa in about 60 seconds flat. It just doesn't wanna stay straight anymore. I don't know if it's because I've been wearing it "natural" since March 1, 2013, or if my hair has simply changed. Who knows?

Anyhoo...back to my visit to the salon a couple weeks ago.

I got my hair in a "rod set." It was something that I'd been curious about for a while so finally went ahead a did it. Cost me $45 and I loved the immediate result. What I didn't expect (although I should have since this hair has been on my head for 40+ years now, so nothing it does should surprise me) was how quickly it got fuzzy. I even bought one of those satin bonnets. My hair wasn't havin' it and STILL frizzed up. And it got sooo kinky. The coils from the rods just got tighter and tighter until they were just these tiny little kinks all over my head. And they were sooo difficult to untangle. Even when I washed my hair, they were still there. *Sigh*

Finally, after I don't know how many washes later, I got rid of the tangles. Finally.

I still wasn't ready to press my hair again, and I also didn't have another $45 to get my hair done (I just got paid on the 30th and I am OUT OF CASH until the 15th. Sad...I know...but 100% true.)

So last night I thought I'd try something new. I washed my hair and twisted it in little sections. I think in "natural hair" terms that's called a "twist out".

So I twisted it and hoped that it would dry. My hair is super thick and takes FOREVER to dry.

So here I am with all these little twists all over my head and wouldn't you know it..."Joe" shows up. That dude! Funny...when he got here he asked why I hadn't called him earlier. I didn't say anything...just pointed to my head. He shook his. I know that how my hair looks doesn't matter to him, but it matters to me, so...

At about 2:00 I decided to see the final result. Let me tell YOU...it came out KEE-YOOT!!! I love it! I love the fact that #1...it was FREE, and #2...it actually looks nice. No tight kinky coils, just waviness all over my head. Joe used an interesting adjective...he said it looked "comfortable". That was new. But he liked it. He loves my hair anyway I wear it but I think he really does like natural styles the best. He's not really a weaves and braids kinda guy, and I love that about him. Actually, it's one of the MANY things that I love about him...but I'll write about that more later.

I was gonna post a pic of my hair, but I'm too laze to work on getting the right angle. Then I thought I'd look for one on Google Images and use that. But...I can't find one that looks EXACT. What I did learn though by looking for a pic is that my hair is 4A natural, with a patch of 4C (maybe even D) in the middle. That stuff is NAPPY. It trips me out because the rest of my hair is not like that. Just that patch in the middle that's straight outta Africa. That patch just doesn't play well with the rest of my hair. It's about 2 inches shorter than the rest and so very coarse. I just don't get it.

Anywhoo...for my natural sistahs out there...

Let the DIALOGUE begin: What type is YOUR natural hair and do you style it yourself or go to a salon regularly?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

4 comments:

  1. Yeah now that you went natural, your hair needs to be "re-trained" to stay straight! LOL! and if you do straighten it, gurl you will need a WHOLE LOTTA product to keep it that way! Moisture in the air is not your friend! But i am glad you like your new "comfortable" do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like it! I'm thinking that if I can go 3 days without having to re-twist it again then this'll work. And I have plenty of "product" here to work with. I refuse to by more until I get through what I have (which of course was all purchased during the "trial and error" phase of trying to figure out what works best in my hair).
      p.s. - you DO know that the colorful pic that I posted on FB is NOT me. I'm crackin' up because I think some folks really think it is. I would never to something THAT obnoxious to my hair. Heck, I have JOB to go back to on Monday! Can't go in lookin' like a popsicle off the cream truck. ;-)

      Delete
    2. lol! Yes I realized that person in the picture was NOT you. not sure how you'd get your skin that many shades darker in what less than 2 weeks? I had a good laugh.

      Delete
    3. LOL!!! I think some folks were a bit "concerned" about me. ;-)

      Delete