Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Friday, August 5, 2016

From Boxes to BAGS

A few years ago I starting putting together what I called "Blessing Boxes" which were simply shoe boxes filled with items that I would hand out to folks in need. The majority of the boxes were handed out at freeway off-ramps

If you live in Southern California then I'm sure you've seen your share of folks in need as you've exited the freeway. 

Before the boxes, I would just give whatever loose change I had in my ashtray. Then I realized that loose change only went so far, and these folks needed more

As a result, the "Blessing Boxes" were birthed.

A typical box would include any of the following (all new and unused of course):


  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Soap
  • Something edible (like a breakfast bar, or granola bar)
  • Bottled water
  • Socks
  • and a 211 card (my hope is that they will call and actually get access to resources that can help).


Although I still give out the boxes, I've stopped "announcing" it. I never thought anything was wrong with me letting folks know how much of a blessing it was for ME to be able to bless someone else. That was until a former acquaintance called me on my actions and accused me of being "showy" and only doing what I was doing in an effort to get praise and attention. 

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!!!

Anyone who knows me...and I mean TRULY knows me...knows that my heart simply does not operate that way. When it comes to "ministry," the "showy gifts" have NEVER been mine. I have always preferred to operate in my gifts (BEHIND THE SCENES.)

Since then, I have given away many more boxes, and will continue to do so...I just haven't said anything about them. 

I have made two small changes though. 

Number 1: I have switched from BOXES to GALLON SIZED BAGS. I dunno...the bags just seem easier for folks to manage and they're easier to re-use. 

Number 2: I now include a DOLLAR BILL in each bag. I realized that the majority of folks at the off-ramps aren't there for "stuff"...even though the "stuff" I hand out is "stuff" they can use. ALL of them are there for MONEY. I get that, totally, fully, COMPLETELY. So...I decided to include what they WANT with the things I think they NEED

I hope that by sharing this, I don't come off as being "showy." I simply love serving and helping others in any way that I can, even if that way is small in the grand scheme of things. 

Now...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Before today, were you aware of the services provided by calling 211? If referred a few folks who were able to be helped. If you know of any other resources, please let me know. 

Talk to me!

Til next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment