Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, August 8, 2016

My HemogLOWbin

For the past few weeks I have been receiving emails from The Red Cross to come in and donate blood. I'm a fairly regular donor and I really don't mind going in and doing my small part to help save lives. 

So I scheduled my appointment for today. Completed the questionnaire ahead of time and went in READY!

I arrived, waited a little while for my name to get called then went into "the little room" for the additional questioning and vitals to be taken. 

So far, so good. 

Then came my least favorite part..."the finger prick."

This is where they take a small sampling of blood from a finger to test iron levels and I'm not sure what (if anything) else.

My finger got pricked and the lady told me that I was "bleeding lightly." That was new. 

She then told me that when folks "bleed lightly" the reason is often "low iron" and they're unable to donate. 

Still...I remained hopeful. 

Seconds later the machine beeped and the lady shook her head.

"Nope. I'm sorry, but it's as I expected. Your iron level is too low."

Boo.

Then she tells me that they can do a re-check and that someone different would be in to do that. 

Okay. 

About a minute or so later comes another lady. 

She pricked a different finger, stuck the sample in the machine and again...we waited. 

The machine beeped and she too told me that it was too low. 

Double BOO. 

She asked me what the original number was...I told her. 

The results were exactly the same the second time around. 

Two tries are all ya get {insert sad face here}.

I was baffled by why my levels were so low today and mentioned that maybe I should eat more dark leafy greens. 

She suggested that I eat more red meat. I then told her that I don't eat red meat anymore...haven't in MONTHS. Now I only eat fish, and seafood. 

I don't think she heard me and proceeded to tell me that organ meat was the best...I almost gagged. 

Then she suggested iron tablets (which she herself tried but they were too hard on her system), or pre-natal vitamins (even though I'm not pregnant.) She said that she's been taking the pre-natal vitamins and hasn't had low iron since. Hmmm...I will definitely try that before I go back to red meat. 

I might eat ONE steak a year...MAYBE, or ONE pot roast a year, and last year I made oxtails a couple times...but that's about it for my red meat consumption. 

Gotta admit...I was pretty bummed. I really love helping others in need and giving blood is the EASIEST way for me to do so.

I'll give those pre-natal vitamins a try and will make another appointment in a couple weeks. Hopefully by then my iron levels will be where they need to be and my hemoglobin will cooperate.

How 'bout you...Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have you ever donated platelets? I've donated whole blood many times, but never platelets. I'd like to do that one day. 

Talk to me!

Til next time...


3 comments:

  1. You can also get iron from cooked spinach and iron enriched cereals like cream of wheat. There is also a supplement called slow FE that is easier on the digestive tract.

    Also maybe should have some bloodwork to diagnose why you have developed anemia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...and thank you sooo much for commenting. Comments always make me so happy. :-) I think I'll give the slow FE a try since I'm not a big fan of spinach (although I do love roasted kale), nor cream of wheat. Hoping I can get my levels up soon so that I can donate again.

      Delete
  2. You can also get iron from cooked spinach and iron enriched cereals like cream of wheat. There is also a supplement called slow FE that is easier on the digestive tract.

    Also maybe should have some bloodwork to diagnose why you have developed anemia.

    ReplyDelete