Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Mmm Mmm GOOD!

In my continuing quest to find the BEST Shrimp and Grits in town, my endeavors recently led me to a tiny spot in L.A. called My Two Cents. I gotta tell ya...these things were AMAZING. They were cheesy, flavorful, with plenty of shrimp, and the grits were cooked to PERFECTION.

If the place weren't so far from my home I would definitely be a regular patron.

A couple weeks ago I tried the Shrimp and Grits at Rusty Pot Cafe in Inglewood. Theirs were okay, but NOTHING like the ones at My Two Cents. The service got "two thumbs up" though.

So far, my FAVORITE Shrimp and Grits in L.A. have been from The Flavor Table. Again...another VERY tiny spot, but the food is MIGHTY, in size and in taste.

The ones I had in Las Vegas at Lola's were good, but my runner ups for FIRST PLACE still go to The Midnight Diner in Charlotte, NC where I first discovered that I even LIKED grits. As a child I never ate them because they just looked GROSS. All white and "gritty" looking in the pot. YUCK. And I hated the way that they would mold themselves to the shape of the pot after sitting for too long.

Oh...but once I saw what grits were SUPPOSED to look like, covered with cheese, cayenne pepper, bell pepper, plenty of shrimp, and a sauce that I can't even name (I just know it makes everything POP), THAT's when I became a FAN.

My other FIRST PLACE runner up is Bourbon House in New Orleans, LA (makes sense, right?)
OH EM GEE!!! When I was finished with theirs, I wanted to LICK THE BOWL!!!

Unfortunately, with all of the good, there is often "not so good." My least favorite Shrimp and Grits thus far (and hopefully there won't ever be any that I like less than these) were also in New Orleans (crazy, ain't it?!?) at The Ruby Slipper Cafe on Canal Street. The service was EXCELLENT; the Shrimp and Grits were not. *sigh*

I regret not having tried them at Oohhs & Aahhs in D.C. If theirs are as tasty as the fried chicken wings were (best I've EVAH had!!!) then I surely missed out. No worries, though. I'll be back in D.C. again, and when I'm there I'll head right on over to "U" Street to "get my fix."

So there you have it folks. My quest for the BEST Shrimp and Grits continues. And a "tummy-satisfying" quest it has been!

I'm hungry now, so...LET the DIALOGUE begin: For those of you who live in Los Angeles (or in the surrounding areas), let me know where YOU'VE found the BEST Shrimp and Grits. I'd be happy to go check 'em out.

Talk to me!

Til next time...




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, great article! I too have ALWAYS HATED grits! What's the point! Those white, nasty, flavorless thick things were a waste of time!

    That is until 2013, I was at an Africsn American History month program at SCE in Irwindale & they served Dulans Soul Food. There was a long buffet full of EVERY soul food goodie you could imagine! As I sampled a little this & a little that, I came across this shrimp dish! They were the biggest, most succulent and freshest shrimp I had ever had. As I was serving myself a second helping, I asked what The creamy base was that the shrimp were in?

    You can a imagine my surprise when they told me they were grits! No way in God's green earth were these grits! Not the same old nasty stuff I knew as a child.

    I have been bamboozled all my life, so now occasionally I am a grit lover, but they must have shrimp in it!

    I Agree the Flavor Table has got it going on, and on, and on! It is definitely worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your comment Kandee! I too have become a bit choosy when it comes to grits now. Some folks can eat them with just butter and salt (YUCK), or butter and sugar (YUCKIER), but I MUST have mine with some SHRIMP in the bowl (and some cheese, bell pepper and cayenne don't hurt either.) Now I'm hungry all over again. ;-)

      Delete