Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Maybe I AM my Hair



So the science project continues and I think I've finally gotten it right. I "wet-set" my hair last night and rolled it up on little curlers. Let my hair "air dry" overnight and took the curlers out this morning. LOVED the result. Super curly, still a bit "big" for my taste, but waaay cute. I've got this cute curly afro goin' and as my kids say, "It's poppin'".

Went to my parents house to wish my dad a happy birthday and my mom said, "Aww, look at your hair, it's so cute. Did you get it done?" That made me feel sooo good. I said, "Nope. I did it myself". She really liked it. Said that she could never wear her hair like this though cause she's got so much hair and the curls would just fall...which is absolutley true with her hair.

She asked me how I did it and I told her. She just shook her head when I told her that I washed it last night and it was dry by this morning...without sitting under a dryer. That is an absolute IMPOSSIBILITY for my mom. If she ever "air-dried" her hair it would be wet for days. Way too long...and waaay too thick.

So all in all, it was a GREAT day for my hair. Now for the challenge. I've been on vacation for a while and I go back to work tomorrow. This is not quite the hair style for "Corporate America", but since I don't service customers face-to-face, I'm thinkin' that it'll be okay. I mean, if Black women in our office wear braids, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to wear my hair "natural". We'll see.

But all of this hair stuff got me to wondering...maybe I AM my hair. Mind you, I didn't trip when it fell out a while back, and I was totally open to the fact that I may have had to start wearing wigs because of the hair loss, but the thought never bothered me. Hair or no hair, I was still the same person.

Now, with all of the changes that I've had with my hair, I kinda feel like the changes are somewhat reflective of me. Some days it's straight and I wear it down, letting it blow in the wind. Other times, it's straight but I wear it in a ponytail (my most common style). Other times, I do wear it "natural", but it's all tied down because it's really big if not tied down. And now, I'm wearing it "natural" and free. Not tying anything down. Just lettin' it "do what it do". And I LIKE it.

So just as my moods sometimes change like the wind, I guess my hair is entitled to do the same. As much as I like the India Arie song, "I am not my hair"...maybe, just maybe...I AM my hair...and that's not such a bad thing.

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Have you been wearing the same hairstyle for years? If so, do you want to change it? And if so, what's keeping you from changing it?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment