Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Shopping Spree, not for ME

I've always thought myself to be a bit "different", and when it comes to shopping, the same holds true.

Many women absolutely drool over the thought of going shopping. Regardless of whether they actually NEED anything, they will shop, "just because".

Not me. I shop primarily out of necessity, not desire.

Maybe it stems from the fact that my funds are extremely limited, so I only purchase what absolutely NEEDS to be purchased.

But even on the rare occasions (and I mean VERY rare) when I do have a little extra in my pocket, I still don't have the desire to run to the nearest mall or outlet store.

I mean some women actually make shopping an "event". They gather up the girls and off they go, $CHA-CHING$.

And when there's a crisis, where do they go...to the STORES for some "retail therapy". As if spending money will make the crisis go away. For me, it would only make things worse. Now, not only would there be a crisis, but I'd be out of money. Not a "win-win" in my book.

So for me, when it comes to a shopping spree, I'll pass.

Offer me a good meal, or a concert though, and I'm THERE!

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Are you a "shop-a-holic"?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. I was reading an article once and something stood out (I've remembered it all this time and I have no idea why), but the article said that when you are feeling less than confident in yourself, that buying new clothes will bring you out of it. Now, at first I was thinking about the whole "retail therapy" bit, and how American it is to think that the answer to all problems is to spend money, but the idea wouldn't leave me alone, and I think the reasons why is because it DOES work in my own experience. I've done it. So, giving thought to WHY does it work, I came up with a theory.

    Our minds associate a lot of mentality upon objects. So, for exsmple, looking through objects lying around in the basement or attic jostle up memories associated with the objects. We remember stuff. We anchor memories to things. Certain songs take you back, TV shows, PICTURES. So, my theory is that we do the same with clothes. At a certain point, clothes get "old" to us. We wore them too many times. We associate them with being outdated subconsciously. We are the only creatures that don't run around naked, so clothes are our "skin" so to speak. When you buy new clothes, you shed the feelings associated with the old stuff and "start over" with the new shirts, pants, whatever. This made sense to me, and it works in my own psychology. Now, I don't have money to buy a new wardrobe all the time, but I do try to buy something every couple of months so as to avoid the feeling of my clothes getting too redundant. Even buying new SOCKS works. Then I attempted it in other ways. If I'm tired of my soap falling into the sink, I go and buy a soap dish. I get the feeling that I just improved my day to day life a little bit. I try a different toothpaste. I "stock up" on something I use a lot, so I won't need to keep running out to get it (like toilet paper, or deodorant), and then it feels "luxurious" to have an abundance of ANYTHING. It works. Every so often, I buy a full tank of gas, or I fill the fridge to capacity. If I can't be rich everywhere, I try to be rich SOMEWHERE! LOL! I think the idea is that you should treat yourself wonderfully sometimes, because very few others are going to do it for you, and having a long stretch with no luxuries can take it's toll on your carefree joy factor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great points! Wow, I sure wish I knew the names of my commenters so that I could thank each one personally, as opposed to saying, "Thank you 'Anonymous' for your wonderful insight". Oh well, you know who you are :o) After reading your comment I realize that we all have our individual "drug of choice". Not so much in terms of illegal drug usage, but in terms of "that which makes us feel better". I get now! Just because SHOPPING doesn't "do it" for me, doesn't meant that SHOPPING doesn't "do it" for someone else. Just as a good meal or a concert puts a smile on my face, those things may not do ANYTHING for someone else. I just happen to be in the minority that gets absolutely NO satisfaction from coming home with bags of "stuff", or driving out to "the boonies" to the outlets for "a deal". This is why DIALOGUE is so important. Things are not as "one sided" as they may appear. We need to see things from every angle in order to get a greater understanding. YOU, have allowed me to do that. Isn't it interesting that these days, buying a full tank of gas is considered a "luxury". That's where we are though. I tend to put in a little here and a little there, but OH when I actually get a chance to "filler up", it does feel good. Thanks again for your comment. Think I might run out now and by a new shirt, or some socks ;-)

    ReplyDelete