Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Splish Splash!

Yesterday, I did something that I haven't done in YEARS. I got into a swimming pool with a swimsuit on. Yes I did!

Didn't want to at first but I was amongst friends (my two very BEST friends to be exact), so it wasn't as bad as it would have been around other people.

Why was this such a big accomplishment? Why has it been so long since I've been in a pool?

A. I'm a BIG girl, and big girls don't look so hot in swimsuits.

But ya know what...I'm a BIG girl in a swimsuit or out of one in regular clothes. So who am I hiding from. Do I really think that people don't see my size when I'm wearing regular clothes. Ummm, no. So why suffer and fry in the hot hot heat when I don't have to. I didn't.

B. I have the weird thing with my eyes where I HAVE to wear special sunglasses ALL THE TIME. I thought it would be strange getting in with them on, but guess what...my two friends had their sunglasses on, so I didn't look so weird. What a relief! They wear theirs to be fashionable. I wear mine out of necessity. Either way, it worked and I didn't look like a "weirdo".

Let the DIALOGUE begin! Are you a BIG person? Plus-Sized? Overweight? Fat? If so, when was the last time you got into a swimming pool? Has it been a while? If so, why?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

5 comments:

  1. I'll say something in yin yang style here. So, I've noticed all my life, from high school to adulthood, that life resembles a pageant in some respects. People showcase themselves, like in high school, there was business club, bowling club, cheerleading, athletics, blah blah blah. I've noticed something that fascinated me. There are some that look great, but they feel that BECAUSE they look great, that's what they are offering, and they neglect to build on their personality. Others have the opposite, they work their personality to perfection, but lack confidence in their appearance, so they hide the whole of it. Then there are those that by fortune have personality AND looks, and sadly, those who have neither. That's not being mean, it's just how it IS.

    Everyone is a combo of some of this, and one interesting point is that as attractive as a person may be, they are usually only attractive to a percentage of people, not EVERYONE. We all gravitate towards what we like. A saving grace in this world, is that no matter how awful someone is, they usually find another awful person that loves them! LOL! So, attractiveness depends a great deal on how OTHER people react to your appearance. There are a great many celebrities that are supposedly "overweight", or who don't fit this ridiculous standard of beauty our society presses down upon women. These celebrities operate in the snarkiest profession on earth and simply push past it. You can't tell these people they can't do what they do. They inspire because of their willingness to ignore fear.

    A thing I've witnessed countless times, is how magical it is when someone BECOMES attractive because the glowing beauty inside them radiates outward from their physicality (no matter what it is) and fascinates the people around them. It's a special skill. Actors study this skill intently, and some of them master it to such a degree that they transcend the supposed limits of beauty and shine brightly. (I'm not an actor, but I'm familiar with the principle). Actors train to perform and dismiss fear. There is a beauty in that act itself that anyone can embrace. It's a hard step to take at first, but you can realize that in the right social setting, no one is actually scrutinizing that much! If I find myself in a room where people really are that overly concerned about who made my shoes, and what designer fashioned my sunglasses, then I say I need to find another room of people. The concept of beauty is to take a raw resource and render it sensually pleasing to the world. Everyone has raw beauty that is waiting to be embellished, except the truly ugly in this world, and they are a powerful and brutal minority. The ugly have nothing to offer, that is why they choose to be ugly. It's a defense against what they know to be true, and they try to compensate with power, money, or another substitute. There is no substitute for beauty. If you are in possession of beauty, then share it with others, because that ugly minority gets diffused in it's presence. They have to go back to their tasteless abodes and circulate their angst while the rest of us enjoy this experience we call "living". I'll bet that getting in that pool with your friends had you remembering how nice being in a pool is. Never let ugly, petty people and their philosophies invite you to limit yourself. If someone has that power over you, it can only be because you let yourself be had.

    Beauty of any kind is so warmly welcomed in this world. There are no effective books or seminars on how to find your own, because we have to do it ourselves. Beauty fill find other beauty no matter the limitations, because it naturally wants to be set free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this would be one of your BFF's :)... FYI, i wear my sunglasses to protect my eyes as well, not to be fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! Now if only I could get these kids of mine to do the same. Remember my motto: PROTECT THE RETINA!!!

    Thanks for stoppin' by! If I knew how, I would insert the heart symbol here. Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my anonymous friend who posted at 6:08 PM...Wow! I am so blessed to have such great people like yourself stopping by "The Dialogue Den". Such profound words of wisdom. I see so much of myself in your comment. All my life I've pretty much been described like this, "She's big, but at least she has a pretty face". Like being BIG was such a downfall but "luckily" I had the pretty face to fall back on. What about the big girls who DON'T have a pretty face? Should they be regarded any less? I think we both know the answer to that one. Often times,"Big girls" do have to work our personalities so that there will be SOMETHING that others will find "favorable" in us. Gets tiring after a while. Sadly, I have been "had" by letting ugly, petty people and their philosophies limit myself. Hence, not wearing a swimsuit or swimming in a pool for longer than I can remember. And when I say "ugly", I'm not speaking of looks. I mean people who are "ugly" on the INSIDE. I can tell you this much though, I won't be "had" anymore. I am ready to experience the "magic of BECOMING attractive, allowing the the glowing beauty inside of me to radiate outward from my physicality". Yes I am! And I will forever remember these fine words of yours, "If I find myself in a room where people really are that overly concerned about who made my shoes, and what designer fashioned my sunglasses, then I say I need to find another room of people." Amen! Thank you for your comment. Please stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some strange reason, the post time now shows as 10:06 AM on July 6th. That's the post that I was commenting on. Still tryin' to get the hang of this "blogging" thing. Bear with me :o)

    ReplyDelete