Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The (unnecessary) Need for Speed

Well folks, I think I'm about to make the switch. Problem is, I'm not sure where to go.

What am I switching? Grocery stores.

I may have posted a while ago about how perturbed I get at the grocery store when even before they say hello, they ask for my "club card". Urgh! I think that's just so rude. I understand that "in their minds", they're doing me a favor, making sure that I get my savings, but I can get my savings at the end of the transaction as easily as at the beginning. So what's the rush? Let's GREET each other FIRST...THEN, I'll swipe my card.

NOW, in addition to the demand for my "club card", the checkers are being TIMED. From the first item that's swiped until the till closes, they're being timed. If they're too chatty, that's points off. So now, all that's heard is a series of beeps as the items are being scanned. So impersonal.

While I was in the store this evening I felt sorry for the woman who rang me up. In line behind me was another employee of the store. While the checker was ringing me up, she's asking the other employee how it is that he's able to ring people up so quickly. His response, "I don't talk".

Her response, with a hint of sadness in her voice was , "Oh, so I'm talking too much? That's it?" I could tell she was worried.

Now this woman is one of the friendliest checkers in the store, if not THE friendliest, which is part of the reason why I go to her line. Now, because of corporate mandate and the new "need for speed", she's going to have to change who she is in order to keep her job. Sad, sad, sad.

What's wrong with "corporate America"!?!

I understand that at the end of the day the bottom dollar is all that matters, but REALLY...now the employee has to become a ROBOT?

Yep. Sadly, that's where we are.

So as I grabbed my bags, I bid Leila (the checker) a good night, told her to keep being herself and to tell corporate that she is not a robot.

I know, I know. There's no way that she'll tell them that. She needs her job. But there's nothing to stop ME from telling corporate, is there?

As for where I'll go next...well, that's up in the air because once one chain implements a policy it seems that they all do. Guess we'll just have to wait and see where I end up.

Let the DIALOGE begin! Yes, here, we can talk for as long as we like. No time restraints...just free flowing conversation. Have YOU noticed the need for speed in your everyday transactions? Maybe at the bank, or the grocery store, or the doctor's office?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment