Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Accidental Visit?

Today was my Sunday to visit another church.

Last Sunday I attended my "home" church, and the two Sunday's before that (which were my designated "visitation Sundays") I stayed HOME.

My daughter said that on those two Sundays I was attending "Bedside Baptist."

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say all that. It's not I, like I stayed in bed all day on those days, because I certainly didn't. I just chose to worship God in my own way.

Some Sundays I want to sleep in.
Some Sundays I want to spend with friends and/or family.
Some Sundays I just want to read and meditate on God's Word in the comfort of my own home.
Some Sundays are simply "played by ear", and I think that's okay.

I don't HAVE to be in attendance in a physical building in order to praise and worship God. If that were the case, then all of the praising and worshiping that I do from Monday through Saturday would be in vain.

I do however attend services in an actual building on most Sundays in obedience to Hebrews 10:25: "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

It is important for believers to meet together, praising and worshiping God corporately. I actually look forward to it, and I am in attendance far more than not.

Today's church visit was interesting.

I thought I was attending the church of a co-worker (pulled from my bowl -- see previous posts) however I didn't see her there and no one knew of her when I asked. The church is pretty small, so I'm sure that if I was at the "right place" they would have known of her. I have a feeling that there are a few churches with the same name and I may have had the city wrong. I'll ask when I see her at work.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed service today. It was different than what I am used to because most churches that I have visited have been predominantly Black (as is my own church). At this church, I was one of only two Black people. Yes...this is something that ALL Black folks notice. We scan the room, venue, etc., to see how many more of "us" there are. I can't explain it, it's just something that we do.

Anywhoo...the members were quite friendly. The pastor even stopped and greeted EVERY SINGLE PERSON as he walked in. A very warm and kind greeting.

I enjoyed "Praise and Worship" even though I'd never heard any of the songs that were sung. They were all "contemporary Christian" and I lean more toward Gospel. Although I do love Casting Crowns and Mercy Me, which are two contemporary Christian groups. I sang right along though (thanks to the words on the screen), and gave God my best in song as if I'd been singing them forever.
The sermon was right on point. It came from 1 Kings 17:1-24, and was titled "Staying Power." In a nutshell, I need to STAY in situations until God tells me to MOVE. And when He tells me to MOVE, I need to be obedient, and MOVE. That hit home with me because there is a situation that I have been staying in for far too long, even though God has been telling me to MOVE for YEARS. I haven't listened, and as a result, things are quite a mess right now.

Thankfully, our God is loving, merciful, patient and kind (just to name a few of His attributes), so I know that if I let go of "self" and follow His will, instead of forcing my own, He will redirect me and steer me toward the blessing that He has waiting.

So you see...even if I was in the "wrong" place, and that church actually wasn't my co-workers church...God still had me in the "right" place, and for that...I thank Him. Nothing happens by accident.

Now, Let the DIALOGUE begin: Have you ever found yourself thinking that you were in the "right" place, only to realize that you were in the "wrong" place...but it worked out anyway?

Talk to me!

Til next time...

2 comments:

  1. okay this tickled me, please let me know how this "mystery member" story ends! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. She comes back to work tomorrow so the mystery will be solved within the next 24 hours. :-)

      Delete