Labels

"30 Days of THANKFULNESS" (30) "365 Posts in 365 Days" (164) "Joe" (36) "Season of VISITATION" (15) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 2016 (1) 2016 Olymics (1) 21 Day Writing Challenge (21) 2nd Chance Scratchers (1) 366 in '16 (170) 367 in '17 (38) 4th of July (1) 642 (12) Accidents (1) Activism (1) Acupuncture (2) Addiction (1) Airports (2) Apartment Living (1) Appreciation (1) ASL (1) Awareness (1) Barack Obama (1) Bathroom Stalls (1) Beauty (1) Bereavement (1) Bible (4) Bible Study (1) BIRTHDAVERSARY (3) Birthday (13) Black Culture (4) Black Males (1) Blessing Bags (2) Blessing Boxes (1) Blessings (19) Blood Donation (1) Boldness (1) Book Club (4) Books (7) Braids (1) Braille (1) Breakfast (1) Burial (1) Bus Stops (1) Candles (1) Cards and Letters (2) Careers (31) Cars (7) Change (11) Character (2) Children (7) Chivalry (1) choices (5) Christmas (3) Church (8) Class Reunion (1) College (2) Comedy (1) Commitment (2) Communication (2) Confused (2) Consistency (2) Courage (1) Creation (1) Daily Bible Reading (4) Death (7) Depression (2) determination (2) Dialogue (1) Dilemma (2) Disappointment (2) Diversity (3) Dogs (3) Donor (1) Door Hooks (1) Dreams (6) eBay (1) Email (1) Employment (2) Envy (1) Equality (2) Eulogy (1) Exercise (1) EYESIGHT (10) Facebook (21) Faith (35) Family (2) Fashion (3) Favorite Things (2) Fearless (5) Feeling (1) Finances (4) Fishing (1) Fitbit (1) Fitness (5) Flowers (1) Focus (1) Food (8) Football (3) Forgiveness (3) Fried Fish (1) friendship (29) Fun (1) Girl Scout Cookies (1) Goals (8) God (16) Graduation (1) Grandparents (7) Gratitude (8) Gratitude Jar (1) Grief (1) Groupon (1) Growth (1) Habits (1) Hair (12) Heaven (6) Help Needed (4) Heroes (1) Holidays (3) Homegoing (4) Hope (14) Hospitality (1) Human Nature (2) Hygiene (1) Ice Cream (1) In Transition (1) Individuality (7) Inspiration (1) Insurance (2) Internet (3) Joy (2) July (1) Jury Duty (1) Karaoke (1) Kindness (2) L.A. Metro (1) L.B. Transit (1) Laundry (1) Laundry-Rooms (1) Learning (1) Legacy (1) Library Cards (1) Life (43) Literacy (1) Little Things (1) Living (4) Loneliness (1) Los Angeles Sparks (1) Lotto (4) LOVE (37) Marriage (1) Massage (1) Me (3) Memories (3) Men (3) Misunderstood (2) Mom (33) Monday (1) Money (17) Monologue (1) Mother (29) Mother's Day (1) Motivational (1) Mourning (1) Music (16) My Place of Peace (2) Names (2) Narcissism (1) Networking (1) New Orleans (2) New Year's Eve (3) News (1) November (1) One Year Bible (3) Online Dating (1) Opportunities (1) Orchids (1) Pain (6) Pajamas (1) Parenting (4) Patience (1) Peace (3) Persimmons (1) Persistence (8) Pet Peeves (3) Pets (1) Phones (1) Pittsburgh Steelers (2) Pizza (1) Praise (2) Prayer (23) President Barack Obama (1) Priorities (1) Profiles (2) Propositions (1) Public Transportation (4) Purpose (7) Quirks (1) Rain (1) Random Acts of Kindness (1) Rash (1) Reading (2) Reality TV (1) Recycling (2) Relationships (2) Rent (1) Reposting (1) Respect (1) Restoration (1) Running (2) Sales (1) Saturday (1) Sea (1) Serving (4) Sewing (1) Sex (1) Shopping (3) Shrimp and Grits (1) Sickness (2) Singing (3) SINGLE (3) Snails (1) Social Change (1) Social Media (2) Soul Food (1) Speaking (1) Spontaneity (1) Starbucks (2) Starting Over (5) Straws (1) Stress (3) Summer (2) Support (1) Surprises (5) Technology (5) Television (3) Thanksgiving (3) The Bible (4) The Library (3) Therapy (2) Things that make you go...Hmmm. (1) Thoughtfulness (1) Time (2) Traditions (1) Travel (2) Trials (1) Trust (2) Truth (2) Unemployment (6) Unity (2) Vacation (4) Violence (1) Vision Board (3) Volunteering (2) Walking (4) Washington D.C. (1) Waste (1) Weight Loss (7) Weirdness (1) Wisdom (1) Writing (15) Year of Firsts (7) Yes (1) YouTube (1)

Let the DIALOGUE Begin!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Ooh La La!

OK!

If you happen to be anywhere near Southern California today, you know that it is hotter than hot!

Because of the heat, I purposefully stayed inside at work today.

Oh, but when it was time to go home. No bueno.

I'm still taking public transportation this week so as I exited the building (in stifling heat), I made my way to the bus stop in my BLACK shirt and new jeans. That combination was a heat stroke waiting to happen.

I made it to the bus stop and no sooner than I sat down, a car swooped up to the curb. It was one of my co-workers. She told me to "GET IN!"

I didn't want to inconvenience her since I didn't even know at that point if she was heading my way...and the LAST thing I wanted to do was take her OUT of HER way.

Again she said, "GET IN!"

I did.

She dropped me off at the nail shop (which is where I was going), and continued on her way.

Once I was done at the nail shop my plan was to catch the next bus home.

Well...that was going to 47 minutes longer and I didn't want to wait.

So...I decided to WALK.

BAD MOVE. EXTREMELY bad move.

I only got about two blocks and the heat almost took me out.

At that point I remembered that I had filled up my travel thermos with ice and water before I left work and had stuck it in my backpack. Well, wouldn't you know...the water spilled...ALL in my backpack. Thankfully, my phone was secured in a zipper pocket,so it didn't get wet. PHEW!!! Everything else did though...including a pair of socks. I always have a pair of socks in my bag. Weird, I know...but I love socks and always need a pair with me for "just in case."

Anyhoo...I get home and the heat is still unbearable. I live in an upstairs apartment so the heat travels UP...and STAYS up.

I sat down in a chair and tried to cool off. Wiped myself down with a cool rag. Didn't help.

Then I decided to clean up the wet mess in my backpack. I pulled out the wet socks and was about to hang them on the clothes hamper to dry. But they felt sooo good. They were COOL and WET. Can you guess what I did next?

If you guessed that I placed those bad boys on my feet then you guessed CORRECTLY.

Oh Em Gee!!!
I put those socks on and felt IMMEDIATE relief. Like my body temperature went down by who knows how many degrees.

That was about an hour ago and do you know...my socks are almost DRY. That's how freakin' HOT it is in my place!!! I might just take these off, run 'em under some cold water and put 'em back on. ANYTHING to stay cool!

So on this day, "30 Days of THANKFULNESS: Day 7 - I am THANKFUL for "accidental discoveries."

Now Let the DIALOGUE begin: What is your FAVORITE way to stay cool in stifling heat...especially if you don't have access to a pool, or have A/C in your home?

Talk to me (I need suggestions for this hot summer I think we're gonna have)!

Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. Put my feet in cool water and sometimes cool cloths under my arms & cool cloth to back of my neck sitting in front of a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions! Thank you!! I'll be sure to keep those in mind. I'm sure that they'll come in handy.

      Delete
  2. Put my feet in cool water and sometimes cool cloths under my arms & cool cloth to back of my neck sitting in front of a fan!

    ReplyDelete